Totley in the 50s and 60s

hello dreb48. have followed the chat online,you mention westleys,also perkington from totley p.o.well! im a little older but i can also remember them from the 1940s. you dont sound that old, or is this the son of the one i knew?the p.o. was on the corner near the bus terminus, it moved from the end of summer lane, and a wool shop took over that place. mickley

hello dreb48. have followed the chat online,you mention westleys,also perkington from totley p.o.well! im a little older but i can also remember them from the 1940s. you dont sound that old, or is this the son of the one i knew?the p.o. was on the corner near the bus terminus, it moved from the end of summer lane, and a wool shop took over that place. mickley

Hi Mickley

Was born in the prefab on Green Oak Ave in 1948 and left there in 1966.

All my recollections are from that period. Its strange but I think you're the first person on this thread to remember Westleys.

That shop was a massive part of my life, either buying sweets and stuff there or delivering papers for them for almost 5 years

I must admit I've no recollection of Totley PO being anywhere but on the corner opposite the Fleur and it was Perkingtons all that time

hi dreb48. thanks for reply,it seems that the ones i knew were of the previous generation, i visited totley last in 2004,and not much had changed,the area where you lived had. the one place that had gone,was the old type almshouses,behind the bus terminous,you could get to it through lane from the main street.any idea if there are photos of this location? mickley

Does anyone remember Susan Gonsior? I went out with her briefly in the late 1960s & I always wondered what became of her.

Hi Fatrajah, I remember Susan Gonsior, she was in the same year as my brother Mick Cooper at Totley All Saints School. I think I have a photo of her somewhere. He says that as far as he can remember she went to work for some big food retail company (?) and travelled abroad with this job. That was in the 70's. No idea what happened to her after that time.

Hi Fatrajah, I remember Susan Gonsior, she was in the same year as my brother Mick Cooper at Totley All Saints School. I think I have a photo of her somewhere. He says that as far as he can remember she went to work for some big food retail company (?) and travelled abroad with this job. That was in the 70's. No idea what happened to her after that time.

Susan Gonsier worked at Bass Charrington on Claywheels Lane as the Canteen Manager in the early 70's. That was the last time I saw her.

Ken still looks great, unlike his elder brother Bud, who looks as though he's swallowed a cow. I still see Linda, from the old farm on Lane Head, she sold up and now lives on Totley Grange, but retained some land to keep her horses on, a top lady is Linda.

I lived at cherrytree when the archibold were there

---------- Post added 06-07-2013 at 18:39 ----------

Remember the Saints and Sinners, Dave Hughes left and they became The Sinners. Ian Archibald (Arch) died about 30 years ago. I believe that Malcolm Lake lives in Northern Ireland, Tim Stirgess (bass) now in Dorset. Don't know what happened to John Woofinden or Dave Hughes.

ian archibould lived at cherrytree where is mother worked while I lived in the60s

Thanks for the reply. I remember now that Susan was taking a catering/hotel management course at Pond Street Tech as it was called then.

Does anyone remember when Baslow Rd Surgery was Dr Linfoots ?

I'm sure he had a son who went to King Teds like me.

Our doctor was Pettigrew who's practice was further down Baslow Rd, just above Marstone Garage. I remember he had a Dr Crawford with him at one point and, before we left the area, a Dr Mukherjee.

Dreb,

Dr. Pettigrew's practice was as you remember, but I think Dr. Crawford was further up Baslow Road towards Mickley Lane.

Dreb,

Dr. Pettigrew's practice was as you remember, but I think Dr. Crawford was further up Baslow Road towards Mickley Lane.

Hi ping

I'm sure you may be right about that but I have a distinct recollection of seeing him at Pettigrews. In fact, I remember mum thinking he was quite ' dishy' cos he was younger and didn't look like Dr Pettigrew !

I know, after we moved from Totley, that we continued to see Dr P at his surgery on Bocking Lane.

Can you remember anything about Dr Linfoots ? I noticed yesterday as I was going down Baslow Rd that they were building a new medical centre and that's what sparked the memory

Dreb,

Found this in edition no.285 of the Totley Independent (July/August 2005):

"148 - Linfoot and Smilie-Doctors Surgery.

There must be lots of memories out there - do write in and

tell us."

Not much to go on but at least it confirms the existence of Dr. Linfoot.