Totley in the 50s and 60s

At one time there was a boy who lived in the house next to the open land called Ronnie Bedford and on the other side of the vacant bit were a family with two or three sons, Mick Green (with glasses) etc who used to ride a motor bike. Next door to me initially were The Moss's (daughter Janey) and after them came Jerry Summers (Sheffield United footballer) and his wife Pat. Next block were The Dowdings (Marjorie and husband ?Brian with son Hugh). Opposite side of the road was my heart-throb at that time Peter Turner and next door a policeman whose name I forget, who died years later of Hodgkins Disease in Weston Park Hospital at the time I worked there. Up at the end of the road was Judy Bale. Gosh the memories are flooding back now! I think on Rowan Tree Dell was a girl called Gillian Mangles?

Hi. Sadabbot, I don't recall all the names you mention, but remember Becky Law who was in my year at Totley All Saints School, she was my best friend for many years until she got engaged and sort of left our group who knocked around in Green Oak Park. Gillian Mangles was a friend also, although we went to different schools. We shared a boyfried at one time (Phillip Oldham, who lived in Dronfield) we both chucked him later.

Hi everybody. Have discovered today loads of photos on ' Picture Sheffield ' that will be of interest to anyone who's posted in this thread.

My apologies if somewhere along the line someone's already mentioned this.

If you just search ' Totley ' there's 271 photos on there.

In particular, if Bellers is still with this thread, there are 2 photos of prefabs on Aldam. One is on page 3 and the other on page 22.

The latter is taken very close to where you lived

Does anyone remember Susan Gonsior? I went out with her briefly in the late 1960s & I always wondered what became of her.

Have discovered today loads of photos on ' Picture Sheffield ' that will be of interest to anyone who's posted in this thread.

Thanks for the link Dreb, brings back some memories.

Looking through these photos, S22600 is described as 'Train Crash, Dore and Totley Station 09/10/1907', yet shows a diesel locomotive involved.

I vaguely seem to remember this particular crash, which I think occurred in the early 60s around Totley Brook Road area.

There are photos of the actual 1907 crash e.g. S0377.

My late wife Patricia ( nee Gregory ) used to manage the Coop hairdresser shop on Totley Rise. She used to complain about how stingy the customers were on tips. She told me she got audited by the Inland Revenue over how much she got in tips. She showed him a Cadbury bar she had in her bag and asked him how much did he want of it.

Moira Maguire? Anyone know anything about her? There was a Moira Maguire who lived on Grove Road, Millhouses. Wonder if this is the same girl?

Moira Maguire? Anyone know anything about her? There was a Moira Maguire who lived on Grove Road, Millhouses. Wonder if this is the same girl?

The only thing I can tell you Lensman is that Moira was in my class of 53-59 at Totley County School and lived at Millhouses. Not much help really

---------- Post added 23-06-2013 at 09:01 ----------

Have discovered today loads of photos on ' Picture Sheffield ' that will be of interest to anyone who's posted in this thread.

Thanks for the link Dreb, brings back some memories.

Looking through these photos, S22600 is described as 'Train Crash, Dore and Totley Station 09/10/1907', yet shows a diesel locomotive involved.

I vaguely seem to remember this particular crash, which I think occurred in the early 60s around Totley Brook Road area.

There are photos of the actual 1907 crash e.g. S0377.

Hi ping.

Yes I spotted that too and yes Im sure you could see the tail end of wagons from the road bridge at Totley Brook.

Some interesting photos of Totley Rise being widened and seeing the fields above Queen Vic before Bradway estate was built.

Actually there's just plenty on there that are fascinating and now I wish as a nipper I'd strolled round with my Brownie 127 taking random photos for posterity !

Thanks DREB. Looked at the picture on Friends Reunited and think this is the Moira I was asking about. Lived next to Holy Trinity Church on Grove Road and was my first girlfriend! Never knew what became of her.

Hi quarterpint. Of course I do but surely not from Totley?

Would PM you but you've not enough posts.

I'll post more and pm you

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 11:44 ----------

I need 5 posts apparently. Sorry for breaking into this thread x

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 11:45 ----------

apologies for interrupting thread

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 11:46 ----------

And the last post (hopefully)

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 11:47 ----------

Still working on it!

Hi quarterpint. It looks like you can't beat the system with your cunning plan.

Can you give me some other people we both know ?