Totley in the 50s and 60s

That's brill Adrian . She actually stood over me and forced me to eat both turnip and taters when she spotted my deception. I was gagging all the time but it made no difference. Happy days indeed

Put Pilkintons instead of Perkintons - whoops

just re-reading some of previous threads, Charlie Drury was in the same year as me at C of E School, His parents ran the haberdashery shop at the end of Summer Lane above the school. Also remember his brother Dennis and his skiffle group, they used to come and practice at our house. Recalling my days at Totley C of E school, I have to say I really enjoyed my school days and have fond memories of all my friends there. The school meals were not so bad either with a few memorable exceptions, for example something laughingly known as cheese pie (i can still smell it), semollina and giant sago which was like fish eyes in a milk sauce. How did we survive? I also never drank school milk which was either warm in summer or frozen enough to lift the gold top off in winter.

I am a member of Totley History Group and we have a project we are researching at the moment about the shops in Totley.We would be grateful if anyone who has contributed to this thread would like to give us their memories of the shops, if you come to the Totley show on Sept. 17th you can see us there.

dennis drurys group was the blue jean boys, rays group the rubber band i still have a ticket somewhere. rays dad was stan drury the painter and decorator, but his nick name was chamy or shamy how did he get that name. who remembers joe cocker at the fleur pub, then called vance arnold and the avengers group. ps what year was it when totley moors was on fire

Hi Totleyites,

I live in Totley now and recognise some of the names and areas you mention. I belong to the Totley History Group and are always interested in stories from the past. If anybody out there has any I should love to hear them or any photos which you may have would be most interesting to the history goup.

My e-mail address is jasper1929@hotmail.co.uk

Marlene.

Hi there, I lived on Furniss Ave in the late 50s and 60s, my name is David Hall, I now live near Byron Bay, Australia. I went to Totley County, remember Miss Willoby and Mr Clements and the commandant, Miss Clareborough. Totley was a great place then. Riding bikes on the aquaduct was good. Thanks for the thread!

Hello David, I lived in the 50/60s on Furniss Ave at no 63. I seem to remember a family called Hall.

dennis drurys group was the blue jean boys, rays group the rubber band i still have a ticket somewhere. rays dad was stan drury the painter and decorator, but his nick name was chamy or shamy how did he get that name. who remembers joe cocker at the fleur pub, then called vance arnold and the avengers group. ps what year was it when totley moors was on fire

I think Stan Drury was called chamy as in chamois leather. I remember my mum and dad always referred to him as "chamy" because he sold chamy leathers and was a window cleaner at some time. Missed out of Joe at theFleur as I was too young to go in, but remember all the motorbikes parked outside the pub whenever he was playing. Remember the fire well as we lived on the Range at the time. very frightening for my mum as we kept disappearing to go and help put it out.

Hi everybody, not been on here for a while. Been clearing out some stuff today and amongst them I found my membership cards for both All Saints Youth Club and the Union Church Youth Club ( 6d entry 1/- without your card and 9d for a new one if you lost it). Nothing to do with Totley but if you're interested I also found tickets to see John Leyton Mike Sarne Swinging Blue Jeans in Feb 64 and Brenda Lee in Mar 63 both at City Hall an old enamel badge for the Esquire and a Davy Crockett badge. I know, don't ask!

Not sure of the exact year but it was in the 70's. The fire engines turned the path from the Strawberry Lee Lane car park up to the "Little house on the prairie" into what now resembles a lane. All the locals joined in with the beaters, very exiting for a young lad at the time. :)