Totley in the 50s and 60s

Ive realised since I started this thread that there probably was a bit of a split between old and new Totley. There seem to be people who went to C of E and lived round Totley Bents that are not familiar to me. I knew most kids that lived on the prefabs and the area stretching from Main Ave down to Totley Rise. What I thought was a really close confined community was far bigger than it appeared. It's fascinating seeing people join this thread then racking your brains trying to find a connection with them

Do you remember Gail Billings who lived on the prefabs.

Hi pennina. I think virtually every church hall dance ended with Henery in those days. Do know some of the names you mentioned. Got a feeling Ned went with Becky Law for a while. Can certainly remember Boiler. Saw your maiden name on another thread but annoyingly i can't place you. Which secondary school did you go to?

Stayed at C of E school, then went to Granville College, at which time I seem to lose touch with everyone at Totley. Advanced to the Esquire like yourself. Anyone remember the all nighters there. Have you read "Not like a proper job" by John Firminger and Martin Lilleker, brings back loads of happy memories.

Hi Julia. Well I thought I knew everybody but obviously I don't or my memorys not as good as i thought. Have you any idea which part of the estate she lived on? How old would she be?

Hi pennina. The Esquire was an amazing place and yes I have read the book. Saw loads of people there. Steam Packet with Rod the mod, Walker Bros, Kinks, just so many acts that went on to be famous.. Went to the Mojo a couple of times to see Spencer Davies but that was a bit of a treck for Totley lads. At the Esquire you could hurtle down to Pond St and catch the last 45 home. Did you go to Dobcroft Youth Club?

Hi Dreb, Yes I did go to Dobcroft Road Youth Club but can´t remember it in any great detail. About Totley Bents, yes it was a bit of another world from the rest of Totley. It was a bit of a hike up Lane Head Road or up to Dore so all the families in the Bents tended to stick together and we all went to the C of E School. rather than the County School. Our school meals were transported from the County School as well so you have a lot to answer for.

Regarding the Esquire, went to see the Walker Brothers there and they only managed one or half of a song because all the girls were trying to get at them (sad to say me included). Anyone out there know Chris Twigg who lived in Bradway.

It was just past Summer Lane, before you get to Totley All Saints school. All our pocket money went in there until we were allowed to go across the road to Pilkingtons. Of course, later we advanced to spending it in the Fleur.

hello julia the name of the shop i think was evans .

Hi pennina. So not only do you owes Sid £7 I reckon you must owe me about 2/6 for ruining my night with the Walker Bros. The sun ain't gonna.... And that was it! And now you've come up with another name I know but I can't work out why

Hi Pennina,

You must have had the real rough end of the stick if your school meals passed through TCS first, because as far as I remember, our meals were delivered by van from some central kitchen (I use that word advisedly) located near Abbeydale.

Hi Adrian. Yep they really were quite gross. Meat that was all fat and gristle and mashed potato that looked like it had been mashed by elephants. Kids today don't know the half of it

Thanks Balthasar. Knew if you were online you'd know the name of the shop. You're my man when it comes to all things Totley Bents

Hi Paul - you'll remember Mrs Gascoigne then, the fuhrer of the dining room. We were only allowed to leave one item so we had to cover the lumpy taters with the revolting mashed turnip.