Totley in the 50s and 60s

Hi willybite. Remember the floods that year. Had a mate, Steve Markham, who lived in the cottages next to the river off the bottom of Queen Victoria Road. They had some serious damage

hiya crookesey i don't know you, but i find your letters a good read, best when you call a spade a spade, anyway the totley i knew years ago was the time in the late fifties when we had the flooding down from totley through millhouses down to heeley, i worked on the corp as it was known at that time and couldn't believe the damage that was done ,we were on the rise and talking to one bloke about the night when they were in bed and heard a rumbling and when the got up his garage on the side of his house was just breaking up along with his car all floating away, further down the wreckage to the tennis courts and lido, and river walls, at heeley bridge ,the river one not the railway bridge, the water was around 6 to 12 inches below full bore mind not much is mentioned obout it over the years.

Thanks for that, I at 64 am a mere lad on this thread, and bow to the obvious experience of other posters. I'm sort of pleased that I wasn't born and raised in Totley as I can really appreciate it, having tasted other places.

My late wife Patricia (nee Gregory ) was a hairdresser in Totley during the early fifties. Her salon was on Totley rise run by the Co-op. She left when we got married, and moved to Cornwall with me while I was in the Royal Navy.

My late wife Patricia (nee Gregory ) was a hairdresser in Totley during the early fifties. Her salon was on Totley rise run by the Co-op. She left when we got married, and moved to Cornwall with me while I was in the Royal Navy.

Circa 1980, the then manager of the Co-op showed me the air aid shelter in cellar, there were the original 'Careless Talk' signs, and all sorts of other stuff, it was like walking into an episode of Dad's Army.

Hey Crookesey. Have read some of the stuff you've put on other threads and at a young 63 I definitely bow to your experience off things Sheffield from that era. Am sure you would have appreciated the Totley of my childhood more than the one you now live in

Hey Crookesey. Have read some of the stuff you've put on other threads and at a young 63 I definitely bow to your experience off things Sheffield from that era. Am sure you would have appreciated the Totley of my childhood more than the one you now live in

To be honest, living just off the right side of Baslow Road (facing upwards), I think that it's fine. However I now totally ignore many of the new arrivals, they are all but shouting out their sets of rules, prior to the furniture going in.

My son, who was born in 1979 and brought up in Totley, relates his adventures in very similar terms to those of you guys.

hello pennina i went to the same school as the coopers and julie,i can remember ian archibald and john woofinden just playing in a group think john was the drummer.

sadly janet died some years ago .what part of totley did you live in,as a child first lived by the bridge on mickley lane.

Hi Balthasar. If you lived by the bridge on Mickley Lane do you remember Steve Markham who lived in the cottages in I think it was called the chemical works off the bottom of Queen Vic?

hi dreb 48 our pathes cross yet again it was know as the chemical yard and i did now

steve from there.have not seen him for many years last time would have been some time late 70s in the cross sythes .

Hi Balthasar. Yet again it seems we were following each other around. Steve moved up to Woodseats. When I had my shop I used to see him a lot but havent seen him for about 5 years or more. Have seen his wife around so if he's still with us he still lives in the area. Steve was part of the group of lads I used to knock about with. Pete Warburton, Steve Wragg, Rob Fuff Jones, Roger Taylor

Hi Balthasar. Yet again it seems we were following each other around. Steve moved up to Woodseats. When I had my shop I used to see him a lot but havent seen him for about 5 years or more. Have seen his wife around so if he's still with us he still lives in the area. Steve was part of the group of lads I used to knock about with. Pete Warburton, Steve Wragg, Rob Fuff Jones, Roger Taylor

hiya reading this thread has brought back some more memories about totley as at the time i hadn,t worked in totley before, anyway the few cottages at the bottom of victoria rd and mickley lane,it was the bridge across the riiver that was damaged and needed a repair well we started it was in stone and some were quite big, each morning we had to get the stones out of the river where someone had taken them off the repaired wall and thrown them in, i remember at the bottom of victoria rd an old type working smithy on the left hand side going up, while we were there we heard of a new sweeper driver going past and carrying on, when it was said a phone call to the hallam depot asking why a sheffield sweeper was going round homesfield, he was supposed to turn up victoria rd but he carried on to the right.

Edited by willybite

hello dreb,know the names but did not know them personally had a mate john wright he knew wraggy,rob jones i did see him in the spitfire a few years ago

was roger one of the taylors that lived on aldamroad .i remember that i would see them fishing the river off aldamroad.pete warburton did he work for the

ambulance service if not got him mixed up with some one else who lived near you .