Totley in the 50s and 60s

Sorry Crookesy it may be their Ken I'm thinking of. Dennis Drury, who lives near me now was a stalwart of those times

No Bud was the footballer, do you remember Eric (scratch) Taylor, we lost him eight years ago?

He must be nearly 70. Am sure Bud played in the notorious 20 a side football matches in Green Oak Rec on Sunday afternoons

Did he have a couple of daughters? I went to school (King Ecgberts) with the Rawlings girls, any relation?

I do remember Eric Taylor but I left Totley in 1966 so with you moving there in 1976 I'm not sure who was and is still there that we both know

In 1964 I was an apprentice Electrician in and around Totley, I was there today and enquired about Peter and Beryl Casson, they have retired.

I see little has changed around the area, unlike the rest of my visit to the city and sourounding area, not for the best

I,m sure there must be plenty on this forum who grew up in Totley during this period. I would particularly like to hear the recollections of those, like me, who lived in a prefab on Green Oak Estate and/or attended Totley County School in the 50s

hello breb48 i lived on aldam way in the 60s delivered the star round greenoak for bonners; totley c of e 56 to 65 .also know bud have not seen him for years.had a pall in them days lived a bove the shoe shop\ cobblers on totley rise they used to keep a pig in a shed on the backlane also on the backlane the farmers yard barns he ran the butchers next to grattons.

Did he have a couple of daughters? I went to school (King Ecgberts) with the Rawlings girls, any relation?

They must be his brother Ken's kids, however Bud did have kids from a marriage that went pear shaped.

Hi Balthasar. I used to deliver morning papers for Westleys on Aldam Way in the early sixties. What did you think of prefab life?

The criteria to be awarded a council house in Totley these days appears to be:-

A member of an ethnic minority.

A minging family with chav kids.

Whichever of the above, being on benefits would be an advantage.

The skills required to smoke a hubble bubble pipe in your front garden.

The ability to terrorise normal kids who wish to play in Green Oak Park.

Being stupid enough to attempt to scare Jamie Reeves in the co-op (the worlds strongest man 1989), now that was funny. :hihi:

I guess it's changed a bit. :rolleyes:

hello dreb 48; prefab life in greenoak was quiet good most seemed to have nice gardens,you knew most of of the people that lived in greenoak.

see you knew dennis drury his brother raymond was a friend from the days when they had a hardware shop at the end of summer lane.

Do any of you guys remember the chip shop at the front of the Fleur, I believe that it was destroyed by fire circa 60 years ago?

Hey Balthasar prefab life was great. Did have a bit of damp but don't remember being cold in winter. We lived on Green Oak Ave. Had a nice garden at the front. Amazing that they lasted so long seeing as the panels were made of compressed cardboard. Makes me laugh when you think that in an attempt to make them safer they clad them later with asbestos sheeting! Know Dennis' brother Ray or Charlie as he was often called and the shop. Sorry Crookesey have never heard of a chip shop in front of the Fleur. The only shop up there was Perkingtons at Totley PO

Hey Balthasar prefab life was great. Did have a bit of damp but don't remember being cold in winter. We lived on Green Oak Ave. Had a nice garden at the front. Amazing that they lasted so long seeing as the panels were made of compressed cardboard. Makes me laugh when you think that in an attempt to make them safer they clad them later with asbestos sheeting! Know Dennis' brother Ray or Charlie as he was often called and the shop. Sorry Crookesey have never heard of a chip shop in front of the Fleur. The only shop up there was Perkingtons at Totley PO

If you recall the stone shed type building adjacent to Baslow Road, it was supposed to have steps leading up to a wooden structure, no wonder it burnt down. :hihi: