Does hayfever affect breathing/ chest?

Past few weeks I have been feeling short of breath and tight chest, do you think it could be hayfever? seems to have been worse since its rained. Any ideas? thanks

Might be worth booking an appointment at the Doctors, your diagnosis of Hay fever might be right, but best to seek proffessional advice to confirm.

It could be if you have headaches, sneezing, itchy eyes or even the shakes too. Worth getting a quack to have a look though.

if your breathing is affected you really should be seeking medical advise

Asthma can be triggered by all kinds of things, not sure if this includes pollen?

My hayfever is worse in the evening, and when it rains. I thought the rain would improve it, but it must disturb the pollen. It's not started yet this year.

Yes, hayfever can bring on seasonal asthma, but I'd book an appointment with your GP to be on the safe side.

Asthma can be triggered by all kinds of things, not sure if this includes pollen?

My hayfever is worse in the evening, and when it rains. I thought the rain would improve it, but it must disturb the pollen. It's not started yet this year.

Yes, most people have worse symptoms in the evenings and during rain that follows warm dry weather, because in both cases pollen in the high atmosphere is brought down towards the ground. It's only the first day of prolonged rain that this is in effect normally, because by then the pollen in the upper atmosphere has been reduced, but if you have intermittent rain and warm weather it will, of course, happen every time it rains.

quick question, i take my antihistamine at night due to drowsyness but i find by midafternoon that my nose is blocked and i have issues getting my breath, are any of the meds of the non drowsy variety that i could take in the morning?

Past few weeks I have been feeling short of breath and tight chest, do you think it could be hayfever? seems to have been worse since its rained. Any ideas? thanks
Iv'e suffered with hay fever just about all my life and I hate it, and yes you get a tight chest and breathing problems,sore eyes sneezing sore throat itching inside your ears and nose red blotches all over your skin,take it from me its not nice and can spoil your summer yes and also it gets worse when it rains apparently the rain drops knock the pollen out of the plants and into the atmosphere more,the only thing that seems to work for me is rhinocourt you will have to go to the doctor for it as it is only available on prescription. Edited by Shogun

quick question, i take my antihistamine at night due to drowsyness but i find by midafternoon that my nose is blocked and i have issues getting my breath, are any of the meds of the non drowsy variety that i could take in the morning?

Clinical tests have shown that second generation anti-histamines are no more likely to cause drowsiness than placebo. You should ask a pharmacist, but you will probably find that drugs like loratadine (branded as clarityn) or cetirizine (branded as zyrtec) will be fine to take in the morning.

This sounds a lot like asthma. The chest tightness is caused by the muscle in your airway wall contracting to restrict your airway (the primary symptom of asthma). Histamine, is responsible for a large proportion of both nasal allergy (rhinitis/hayfever) and also asthma. The two conditions often co-exist. It is possible to have a test known as a bronchial challenge to see if histamine is causing your chest tightness but this is not always necessary.

If it is bothering you, you should see a doctor and explain your symptoms. They will probably prescribe you an inhaler although if pollen is your only allergy, you may well find that anti-histamines are beneficial in preventing the onset of symptoms.