Cyclists with trailers at it again!! Ecclesall Road!

All good points. My beef is with cyclists who are are too confident, blasting along a road at 20mph then hopping up the kerb to take a short cut along the pavement without slowing down. As an adult, it does not bother me too much (cyclist vs pedestrian is usually ends being worse for the cyclist) but with their unpredictable behaviour and vulnerability, small children are another matter. Might be safer in a trailer...

I aint too keen on furious riders either, don't mind them sticking to the road or riding along the pavement at a reasonable speed.

I remember reading somewhere that a speed limit of 6mph was allowed on pavements? Not sure if this was just for motorised vehicles or whether it applies to peddle bikes too.

In regards to the bike rider with the trailer, I think he should be free to travel as he pleases but I would never take my kids on the road in a trailer, I'd ride along the pavement, not that I'm ever likely to ride a bike never mind one with a trailer.

An interesting thing that I've learned through having this discussion is that bikes are not allowed on country footpaths.

Mountain biking through the countryside is illegal to what I gather.

I cannot believe you have been driving for so long, with no incidents at all. Maybe its because I spend 10 hours a day up and down the roads of england, that makes me more likely to have a run-in.

Not 'no incidents', but not enough to develop such an intolerance for a particular group of road users.

moan moan moan moan , look every body will be rideing a push bike soon petrol price is going up up up up £2 not be long then yu will moan some more :)

Not 'no incidents', but not enough to develop such an intolerance for a particular group of road users.

I cant help what I think about cyclists, and I dont see me changing my views to keep it politically correct, as my biggest fear is killing one, through no fault of my own. I think that is a fair and justified point, all bickering aside!:|

I cant help what I think about cyclists, and I dont see me changing my views to keep it politically correct, as my biggest fear is killing one, through no fault of my own. I think that is a fair and justified point, all bickering aside!:|

I think that is a reasonable concern. However,the majority ofbcyclists are not a problem.

Some drivers appear to be overly concerned with cyclists' behaviour. When it's erratic, then that's fair enough, but when it's just different, there's no need to be concerned.

A cyclist not paying road tax - it's hardly their fault that they are not required to

No insurance- many are insured. Uninsured motorists are a much bigger concern as they can do more harm. I think cyclists should be insured, primarily to protect themselves from a big payout if they cause an accident. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't - it's just a few quid for peace of mind.

Riding on the pavement. Sure it's illegal,but why does anyone feel a need to worry about seeing someone doit.

On the way back, a cyclist decides he wants to miss a gutter he wasnt looking for (because cyclists dont seem to read the road ahead like you or I) and he pulls out without looking, and you drive over him, hurting him, and making him take 6 months off work. Then he sues you. He knows you must have a least third party insurance, and bingo. Its a win win situation for the stupid cyclist, and cost, cost cost to you.

The key point for me is that the cyclist should be able to move about in this way in front of you for several reasons. The highway code specifically states that cyclists might need to move around or do so unexpectedly and that accordingly you should give them space. It then goes on to show that space when over taking a cyclist is defined as your whole vehicle the other side of the central white line splitting the road. if you are this far away the cyclist moving as you mention above is not a problem.

An interesting thing that I've learned through having this discussion is that bikes are not allowed on country footpaths.

Mountain biking through the countryside is illegal to what I gather.

No, mountain biking through the countryside is not illegal any more than horse-riding through the countryside or greenlaning. MTBs can use bridleways, BOATS etc - just not public footpaths

If you were on your travels, and you did 500 miles in a day, then drove all the way home, then that is great and lucky for you that there were no incidents. But when you got home, you realised you had ran out of milk, so you popped back out to the shop. On the way back, a cyclist decides he wants to miss a gutter he wasnt looking for (because cyclists dont seem to read the road ahead like you or I) and he pulls out without looking, and you drive over him, hurting him, and making him take 6 months off work. Then he sues you. He knows you must have a least third party insurance, and bingo. Its a win win situation for the stupid cyclist, and cost, cost cost to you. So please dont insult my driving capabilities, or take rise to the fact that I think cyclists are stupid. The one common denominator here, is the fact that your views are the views of either a cyclist or an a.r.se hole. I wonder which one it could be ??????

The above comment is well I won't say the word- ask the Police Officer that came to my house when I was taken off my bike - most CAR drivers look no further than the bonnet of their car - I come to the conclusion that having been a cyclist and a car driver for nearly 25 years I have never had a car accident that was my fault and the only cycle accident I had was due to a car driver letting a passenger out in moving traffic - I now ait for a few minutes before the onslaught!!

Win-win for the cyclist apart from the potentially fatal injuries and six months off work eh?

You forgot the small point about the motorist's careless driving and disregard for the Highway Code and the Law.

the 'eco' warrior type push bike & trailer muppets all need a good scutch - idiots !!

i saw one of those trailer things tip over and the cyclist didn't even realise must have rode about 100 metres before stoping with his childs face grinding on the floor. there needs to be something done about those death traps

Did the kids face go down any pot holes or over a speed bump , did the cyclist have a bell, if not then he should have been run over!

If you were on your travels, and you did 500 miles in a day, then drove all the way home, then that is great and lucky for you that there were no incidents. But when you got home, you realised you had ran out of milk, so you popped back out to the shop. On the way back, a cyclist decides he wants to miss a gutter he wasnt looking for (because cyclists dont seem to read the road ahead like you or I) and he pulls out without looking, and you drive over him, hurting him, and making him take 6 months off work. Then he sues you. He knows you must have a least third party insurance, and bingo. Its a win win situation for the stupid cyclist, and cost, cost cost to you. So please dont insult my driving capabilities, or take rise to the fact that I think cyclists are stupid. The one common denominator here, is the fact that your views are the views of either a cyclist or an a.r.se hole. I wonder which one it could be ??????

The above comment is well I won't say the word- ask the Police Officer that came to my house when I was taken off my bike - most CAR drivers look no further than the bonnet of their car - I come to the conclusion that having been a cyclist and a car driver for nearly 25 years I have never had a car accident that was my fault and the only cycle accident I had was due to a car driver letting a passenger out in moving traffic - I now ait for a few minutes before the onslaught!!

Thanks for reopening a pointless thread... muppet :)