Cyclists with trailers at it again!! Ecclesall Road!

Some motorists doubtless want cyclists out of the way as much as possible, they are narrow and don't pay road tax after all. The gutter is where they belong, literally, not figuratively.

But if you're in the gutter you don't get seen and you get squashed.

I reckon cyclists who ride a bit further out, own the road a bit more, and are a bit erratic, keep motorists on their toes - even the bike haters don't want a death on their hands - and that is the way to survive.

It's a survival strategy and that's no exaggeration. Sorry to be dramatic.

Let's be clear here, the correct, legal description is not "pavement", it's "footway". There's a clue in the word as to which users of the public highway may use aforesaid area that only the terminally stupid (or a cyclist) would fail to pick up on. The council spends a small fortune on providing you green, good for the environment, healthier than thou clods with cycleways and some of you STILL insist on cycling unlawfully on a footway? Can I drive my motorised vehicle on the "pavement" please? If it's OK for a non-motorised vehicle, why isn't it OK for a motorised one? Get on the CARRIAGEWAY or CYCLEWAY where you belong.

As for folks who drag their offspring in trailers behind their eco-vehicles - "unfit parents" and "child neglect" spring readily to mind.

Lets be even clearer here, in my 33 years of living on this planet I've never, not once until today come across the word footway, and although it may be a legal definition it is not the common definition, which is pavement.

Some roads are lucky to have that and may have a roadside footpath or trail.

As I'd take the common definition to be pavement (for paved paths) hence claiming the pavements to be under commonlaw jurisdictions and the day that you motorists think you can come along and just claim what's not yours with your maritime jargon is the day every free walking pedestrian and their bicycle riding child dies.

Now as for your terminally stupid remark, CLASS 1 and CLASS 2 vehicles carry people along our pavements that deserve more respect than being called terminally stupid, how dare you insult the disabled in such a manner.

As for the rest its just as much crap as it started off being.

I guess blackpool ought to sell it's stockpile of novelty bikes because it's unsafe and irresponsible for parents to be riding them around on the roads where only roadworthy foaming at the mouth beetroot faced verbal excreting screamers dare cut each other up.

Edited by Digsy

Lets be even clearer here, in my 33 years of living on this planet I've never, not once until today come across the word footway, and although it may be a legal definition it is not the common definition, which is pavement.

Some roads are lucky to have that and may have a roadside footpath or trail.

As I'd take the common definition to be pavement (for paved paths) hence claiming the pavements to be under commonlaw jurisdictions and the day that you motorists think you can come along and just claim what's not yours with your maritime jargon is the day every free walking pedestrian and their bicycle riding child dies.

Now as for your terminally stupid remark, CLASS 1 and CLASS 2 vehicles carry people along our pavements that deserve more respect than being called terminally stupid, how dare you insult the disabled in such a manner.

As for the rest its just as much crap as it started off being.

I guess blackpool ought to sell it's stockpile of novelty bikes because it's unsafe and irresponsible for parents to be riding them around on the roads where only roadworthy foaming at the mouth beetroot faced verbal excreting screamers dare cut each other up.

and beathe!!:loopy:

oh apart from this with cyclists and by the way digsy i am with you on the electric vehicle front....that is the future......i sponsored the winner of the isle of man electric tt motorcycle race unlimited class in 2009 and one of my close friends is the ceo of segway worldwide who make and produce electric personal transport.....which incidentally are illegal for use on uk highways.....and pavements.....for now!

Let's be clear here, the correct, legal description is not "pavement", it's "footway". There's a clue in the word as to which users of the public highway may use aforesaid area that only the terminally stupid (or a cyclist) would fail to pick up on. The council spends a small fortune on providing you green, good for the environment, healthier than thou clods with cycleways and some of you STILL insist on cycling unlawfully on a footway? Can I drive my motorised vehicle on the "pavement" please? If it's OK for a non-motorised vehicle, why isn't it OK for a motorised one? Get on the CARRIAGEWAY or CYCLEWAY where you belong.

As for folks who drag their offspring in trailers behind their eco-vehicles - "unfit parents" and "child neglect" spring readily to mind.

The word pavement is derived from the French meaning cobbled way,and it was anticipated that both cyclists and walkers would use it.It is the car which has disturbed this equilibrium.before the car there was no need to segregate traffic;the car is the intruder whereas the cyclist and walkers have been established road users for decades previous.

oh apart from this with cyclists and by the way digsy i am with you on the electric vehicle front....that is the future......i sponsored the winner of the isle of man electric tt motorcycle race unlimited class in 2009 and one of my close friends is the ceo of segway worldwide who make and produce electric personal transport.....which incidentally are illegal for use on uk highways.....and pavements.....for now!

Blimey you are welll-connected if you can sponsor tt mc races.Why not sponsor a cyclist or his trailer.It would be an ideal place to advertise whatever you do-is it a hotdog vanyou run or do you ply ice-creams.Dont Segway make stairlifts and electric wheelchairs,rather than cars?I thought it was Senior Electric Geriatric devices!

Blimey you are welll-connected if you can sponsor tt mc races.Why not sponsor a cyclist or his trailer.It would be an ideal place to advertise whatever you do-is it a hotdog vanyou run or do you ply ice-creams.Dont Segway make stairlifts and electric wheelchairs,rather than cars?I thought it was Senior Electric Geriatric devices!

sponsored a rider...not the whole race...see http://www.dannisport.com and its protective clothing.....not ice creams unfortunatly! i think you are referring to stannah NOT "segway" google it:)).....big things coming soon with GM CORP INVOLVED with electric cars as well as 2 wheeled personnal electric transporters;)

many times I have had run ins with cyclists. There are very few who actually take care whilst riding, but the are more who simply ride along with no care or attention to what they are doing. This is a bad mix, as I would struggle to live with myself if one cut me up and I didnt stop in time, and squashed him/her to death. That is someones loved-one who is riding stupidly and dosent seem to foresee their actions could end their life, and ruin the life of the driver. That is why I am bitter.:confused:

I've been driving for over 40 years and am currently covering around 20 000 miles per year. I've never 'had run ins' with cyclists, yet you've had many. I think it's easy to conclude that you are the problem. The one common denominator of all these run ins is you.

Some motorists doubtless want cyclists out of the way as much as possible, they are narrow and don't pay road tax after all. The gutter is where they belong, literally, not figuratively.

But if you're in the gutter you don't get seen and you get squashed.

I reckon cyclists who ride a bit further out, own the road a bit more, and are a bit erratic, keep motorists on their toes - even the bike haters don't want a death on their hands - and that is the way to survive.

It's a survival strategy and that's no exaggeration. Sorry to be dramatic.

GONNNNNNNNNG !!!!!

Whenever a cycling thread appears, a woman with a gong should be waiting to hit it when someone mentions "road tax". It could be like that gameshow Take Your Pick :hihi:

cycling on the pavement is against the law, I got a clip froma copper for that many years ago.

GONNNNNNNNNG !!!!!

Whenever a cycling thread appears, a woman with a gong should be waiting to hit it when someone mentions "road tax". It could be like that gameshow Take Your Pick :hihi:

Someone will be along soon to say its not Road Tax But vehicle excise duty. . . . :D

cycling on the pavement is against the law, I got a clip froma copper for that many years ago.

Funnily enough an old dear told my mates nephew that, and told him he had to ride on the road and he is only 8.