Sci Fi Films to recommend

AI is one of my personal favourites, as is the Butterfly Effect which I can watch time and again. As regards Children of Men, read the book and avoid the film ...

The Butterfly Effect is a film which contradicts itself so many times that anybody with even a basic understanding of physics laughs all the way through.

It's easy to see that the film was written by someone who has watched the Back To The Future films and considers himself an expert on the subject.

Children Of Men is one of the greatest movies ever commited to film.

The understatement of the sets lends a truth which most sci-fi lacks.

As opposed to The I Can't Believe It's Not Butterfly Effect, this feels like it was written by someone in the know, in this case a futurologist, someone who follows trends and possible outcomes, rather than someone who guesses or invents for the sake of sensationalism.

Children Of Men has, since it's release, developed a cult following even comming close to spawning it's own spin off TV show (I've not heard anything about this in a while so fingers crossed it won't happen), whereas The Utterly Butterfly Effect remains just a good way to fill an hour and half.

Sorry guys but have to add a couple here and I'm sure there'll be detractors too....

Serenity (and the spin off series Firefly).... Cowboys n Injuns in space!!!

Fifth Element

Resident Evil (and the follow-ups... cheese I know but Milla Jovovich makes it all worth it) although they can be classed as horror by some - the last two choices could be seen as developing a theme in relation to Ms Jovovich

I actually enjoyed Lost In Space (Boo's all around I hear, but Gary Oldman carried Dr Smith off really well I thought and I can remember the original TV series.... Oh the pain!!)

Try following the new incarnation of BSG (Battlestar Galactica) - series I know but there are a couple of backstory tv movies (Razor etc)...

I'd almost forgotten to mention the film Gattaca which I like because the music is fantastic, the story isn't great but you do end up with a tear in the eye at the ending. I'm not going to say any more as I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone who does want to watch it.

The film Lost in space has a great piece of theme music and although I might not rush out to buy it I did remember the way as a child I watched the TV series avidly. I still think the likes of Time tunnel and Land of the giants are long overdue to get the Hollywood touch. Also how about a sequel to the incredible shrinking man,, what did happen to him?

its an old one try split second classic

Dune is great and the tv movies they made are also not too shabby, but I do love Dune!

OK here we go

METROPOLIS

THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN

WESTWORLD

SOLARIS

FORBIDEN PLANET

THIS ISLAND EARTH

DUNE

BLADE RUNNER

ALIEN

CHILDREN OF MEN

ALTERED STATES

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD

THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTIEN

should keep you going for a bit !

This guy knows what he's talking about...I'd ignore the rest

Scanners, Saturn 3, The Psychotronic Man, Outland, Videodrome, Dune, Sphere, The Jacket.