Woodthorpe Fishponds - Vote for US!!

Woodthorpe Development Trust needs your help to secure funding for the renovation of the historic Woodthorpe/Richmond Fishponds. Out of 150 applications to the Big Lottery, we are through to the last 8 in the YTV region. Our renovation proposals which will go to a televised vote on ITV, Thursday 3rd November at 6.00pm on the Calendar News programme. This is a straight telephone vote against another project (not in Sheffield) and the number you need to call to vote will be given out on the programme. The number will also be in the Daily Mirror on the day of the vote.

We are relying on your vote to help us secure this essential funding to turn our plans into reality.

Why vote for Woodthorpe ?

The fishpond at Richmond has been in existence for hundreds of years, and may have originally been an ancient pond associated with an old monastery.

In more recent history the pond became part of the Woodthorpe Hall estate. The pond at that time was larger than it is today and stretched across to the location of the present church on the other side of Hastilar Road. It was filled with fish such as carp, roach and bream. It was also originally all fenced off until the 1930's, when the local council bought the land. It is thought that it may be one of the oldest fishing ponds in the Sheffield area.

The fishpond area has played an important role within the local community for a number of years and an important area for local schools and nurseries to learn about the environment.

Over the years many local people have been involved on a voluntary basis, working to improve the environment both in and around the fishpond area.

In 1996 the Fishponds Action Group was formed, which was made up of local community members concerned about the condition of the pond and its surroundings.

There have been a number of community led "clean ups" at the pond, but many of these projects have only had short-term impacts. Recently a petition was sent to the Parks, Woodlands and Countryside Department asking for action over the decline of the pond and its environment. The pond has been highlighted as a place that is in desperate need of cleaning and environmental redevelopment.

The aims and objectives of the project

To preserve an historic asset for the area

To create a safe, user friendly community space

Create sporting opportunities for the community through fishing

Improvement of the local environment through aesthetic development of the site

To develop greater local pride in the area

A newly improved site would hopefully lead to progressive and positive use by young people

Provide greater educational opportunities in the area

Create a safer and less hazardous area for the community to use

To provide a greener, environmentally friendly area that can be accessed by all members of our own community and of the wider community

To make the area more accessible for people with physical disabilities

To provide a friendly environment for people of all cultural and religious backgrounds who reside in and around the area

To reintroduce the community events that were held around the fishpond area in the past

Please pass this to all your friends etc on the net as this is a real opportunity to get this done.!!!!!

Fill it in and turf over it.

I lived near there for about 15 years and that pond was a mess all the time, full of rubbish and crap that the locals had thrown in and overgrown with slime/weeds/reeds.

Unless you plan to clean-up the locals and make them act more responsibly you're wasting your time.

IMO.

A pond once it has been renovated can be kept nice. This is proven by the pond at arbourthorne. Why should the anti social actions of a few be allowed to dictate the whole feel for an area? Indeed projects like this can be rallying points which help galvinise communities.

This is a good project and I hope that the forum and its members will get behind it like they did the one for Heeley City Farm.

Originally posted by nick2

I lived near there for about 15 years and that pond was a mess all the time, full of rubbish and crap that the locals had thrown in and overgrown with slime/weeds/reeds.

Unless you plan to clean-up the locals and make them act more responsibly you're wasting your time.

IMO.

It's not always a case of pearls before swine. In general if you are improving an open space and it meets the needs of the local people they will care for it more. Lets hope it's a double success for Sheffield. :clap:

Originally posted by nick2

IMO.

Preferably with Nick2 six feet under the pond.

This is a genuine appeal by a local community trying to get a little help to smarten up the area which they live in.

Comments like yours are simply not called for.

Please support Sheffield's green spaces - we're lucky to have them, and lucky to have these opportunities to make a little money to help develop and maintain them.

There was a great surge of support for the farm, which was great to see, and we can do it again for the fish ponds.

Does anyone know if those are our only two projects involved in this competition? Even if they are, we did well, I think, getting two in for Sheffield out of eight for the whole region.

Go, us!:D

Cosy

Yes, Woodthorpe Fishponds and Heeley City Farm are the only two projects from Sheffield in the final vote.

It's great to see so much support. Loads of local people have been really enthusiastic about getting the ponds sorted out - people who really care about the area. It only takes a minority to spoil it for everyone else, but if we can get the area sorted out once and for all, hopefully that will give everyone the incentive to treat it with respect.

Thanks to everyone for all their nice comments.

And please, DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Camp_Man

Preferably with Nick2 six feet under the pond.

Comments like yours are simply not called for.

And comments like your are I suppose ?

I'm just saying what I see, I've seen that pond cleaned up half a dozen times, and it has always end-up like it is now. What makes you think it's going to be different this time ?

The pond is like the general area, going slowly downhill, look at the forecourt of the Richmond and the shops on Stradbroke Road.

Making a nice little park and a pond is not going to sort out the problems in that area, you need to find out why people feel the urge to throw shopping trollies in the pond in the first place.

Good luck with the project, but I feel the money would be better spent providing something for the kids to do other than vandalise the pond.

I get your point, Nick, but it is possible to reinvest people's interest in the pond, and give the kids something else to do while you're at it. Like fishing.

Just look at Arbourthorne Pond for an example - it's come on in leaps and bounds over the last couple of years...and I've not had to fish anywhere near as many shopping trolleys out of it. In fact, not one in ages. It's self-policing, if you like, with the locals very heavily involved in making sure it stays relatively trouble-free and clean.

The community worker in me says you have to stay positive. Otherwise, why ever bother to do anything if you start with the assumption it'll just be spoiled...

Ever optimistic,

Cosy:D

the pond as been cleaned up numerous times over the years,unfortunatley it alway ends back in the same state,full of old tyres and shopping trollyes.........fill it in and build a drink n drug drop in centre:)

Originally posted by kirky

the pond as been cleaned up numerous times over the years,unfortunatley it alway ends back in the same state,full of old tyres and shopping trollyes.........fill it in and build a drink n drug drop in centre:)

A very caring attitude you have there Kirky. :D

You are right though. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I think that all the people in Sheffield should vote for Woodthorpe fishponds. The city needs as much money as possible to help restore and repair many run down areas of the city.

Woodthorpe doesn't even have a park suitable for children ,families or elderly people to enjoy. The council stopped spending money on the parks in the area 20 years ago.The chance to get something that will become a focus and centre piece of the area can only be good.

Residents know how much the fishpond needs the investment and only 4 months ago a petition with hundreds of names on was handed to the council to demand something be done.

So come on all you Sheffielder's get the number from the Daily Mirror on the 3rd November or watch Calendar and vote for a local project. After all l don't live in Heeley but you can bet l voted for the project at the City Farm.