Sheffield Steelers - Festival of Hockey 27th August

On the 27th August the Arena will play host to an exciting and exhilarating display of professional and amateur ice hockey, with opening games from younger teams including under 10s, 12s and 14s, followed by under 16s and 18s.

Then, in a one-time reappearance on the rink, the Sheffield Steelers legends will take to the ice to play an exhibition game against their old enemy from years past, the Cardiff Devils legends, who will be celebrating their own 25th year anniversary. Both teams will undoubtedly be keen to show off the skills that made them famous with ice hockey fans across the UK.

To close the evening’s events current elite league champions Sheffield Steelers will play a friendly against rivals, Cardiff Devils, who remained a close contender throughout last season’s Elite League Championship. The match will be the first opportunity to see the new Steelers team for the 2011/12 season play under the leadership of new player coach Ryan Finnerty.

Tickets are now on sale!

SHOWTIME: 12pm (doors 11am)

TICKET PRICE: Adults £30 Concessions £20 U16 £5

ADDITIONAL DETAILS: Season ticket holders £5 discount on Adult tickets

Is the reason the Steelers are playing Devils not because they have the same owner?!

Surely if they wanted a rival to play it would be Nottingham Panthers

Could be or maybe it's cos panthers won 2 cups last season there to busy polishing lol

As the days and weeks go by we will add more names to the Steelers legend team, already over a dozen have committed. Those announced to date are:

Rocket Ron Shudra

Mike Blaisdell

The Duke Tommy Plommer

Goalies: Wayne Cowley – 1996 Grand Slam Goalie

Pasi Raitenan – 2004 League Champion

Andy Havenhand (Present) – Part of Several League and Play Off Winning Championship sides

Steelers owner Tony Smith has confirmed that he is reducing the prices for the Festival of Hockey – his first major decision since taking over the club last week.

“I want the building full for our birthday party. I want this to be the biggest and best event in Sheffield that Bank Holiday weekend and after taking advice from the Sheffield Arena and our Supporters Club I decided that we needed to change the original pricing policy that our predecessors had come up with.

“It’s no good holding a party and then being stuck in the kitchen on your own playing with the corkscrew. You want guests, you want fun and you want the whole place buzzing. We are putting so much effort into making the Festival a great day, a day celebrating 20 years of on ice success. We have already received confirmation that great Steelers stars such as Ron Shudra, Tommy Plommer, Wayne Cowley and Mike Blaisdell will be present and there will be many, many more added to that list.

“Any Steelers fan over the last 20 years will want to be present on the 27th August to welcome home the biggest and best names that have ever worn the Steelers shirt and we don’t want to out price them. We are confident that our new pricing policy will attract many fans and that we will fill the arena for the most special of days”

Tickets are priced:-

Children £5

Concessions Season Ticket holders £14 – Non Season Ticket Holders £16

Adults Season Ticket Holders £18 – Non Season Ticket Holders £22.50

Tickets purchased on the day of the Festival:

Children £7

Concessions Season Ticket Holders £16 – Non Season Ticket Holders £18

Adults Season Ticket Holders £20 – Non Season Ticket Holders £24.50

Whilst reducing prices is a nice gesture, 24.50 for non ST holders is still stupidly high. After all, for 24.50 you are getting to watch a bunch of has beens skating around and then a meaningless pre season friendly. In the current climate this deserves to be played in front of thousands of empty seats. I used to go to watch the steelers years ago, then they got delusions of grandeur and shoved the prices up. Maybe one day they'll realise it's a minority sport played by keen brits and north americans who aren't good enough to cut it in their own country and bring the prices back down.

make it a tenner for adults and a fiver for kids and watch the crowds come flooding back.

Mmm a whole day of hockey for the same money as a football match bargain

Mmm a whole day of hockey for the same money as a football match bargain

but it's non competitive hockey played by babies and has beens!

Cannot wait for this!! Hope Ken Priestley turns up!! :):)

I've heard that Ken has already sent his apologies as he cannot attend this event.

Thanks to my sister getting me a ticket, it'll be my first game(s) at the arena for a decade after following Steelers for the first 10 years.

I'll find out if the 90's coffee stains on the seats are still there.:D

Is that awful brummie still the rink announcer ? I'll take ear-plugs if he is. :gag: