Green Sack Collection

whiteowl, were all the green bags the official ones? I only once left some green bags out, three were the ones you get from the library, the other three were bio-degradeable that |I had bought. They left those!!! I now can't be bothered with them so i take my garden rubbish to the tip!!

Think they were a mix of the two so probably a similar situation to yours, gotta love jobsworths ! :rant:

They are my neighbours so now I get the joy of looking at some green rubbish bags for a few more weeks out of my front room until, erm, I don't know what. Will they just stay there until they decompose away now ? :confused:

What areas have these green bags? As I've never heard of them before?

To counter act all of this, why do they not just give everyone a green waste bin, and pick that up in a truck every fortnight. Would solve a shed load of problems r.e. green sacks with and without the "right" marking.

The email I received said that they are planning this service in the "near future".

"A new garden waste collection service is to be introduced across the City following approval at a full Council meeting on 4th March, although the exact details of this new service have yet to be agreed, the new service will mean that households across the City will receive a scheduled collection of garden waste throughout eight months of the year."

The email I received said that they are planning this service in the "near future".

"A new garden waste collection service is to be introduced across the City following approval at a full Council meeting on 4th March, although the exact details of this new service have yet to be agreed, the new service will mean that households across the City will receive a scheduled collection of garden waste throughout eight months of the year."

We can't have green bins or re usable sacks due to costs and council cuts. So, from the email I got we either pick up sacks from libraries etc. or they are looking into whether they will take sacks we purchase ourselves, by the time everything is settled with Veiola it will be Autumn and then the service will be stopping for the winter.

Latest today,

Good news; notice on it's way to say from July there'll be a regular monthly collection on given dates, so just leave your bags on the pavement.

Bad news, they'll take a maximum of 6 bags at each collection instead of 12.

I pointed out to the bloke on the phone that I already had 9 bags ready, so he told me to put them all out but they'd only take six and leave the others for the next collection.

So there'll be bags on the pavement for a month, and next month I'll only be able to add three bags.

Still if the weather's decent this summer the three left behind will have nicely composted by the time they're collected. (And before some troll tells me I should be composting my waste, I have four compost bins and don't have room for more, so need to get rid of the surplus.)

Good to see our new Council getting to work.

Edited by algy

So you won't just put your extra 3 bags outside next door?

So you won't just put your extra 3 bags outside next door?

They've already got more than six each. Go any further and I could dump it on the local allotments, but that would be fly-tipping wouldn't it?

They've already got more than six each. Go any further and I could dump it on the local allotments, but that would be fly-tipping wouldn't it?

This is something I have considered doing. Not the fly tipping but leaving it on neighbouring properties, of course only if they agree or on holiday!!! :hihi:

Seems to me the council would be better to collect all the green bags only then will they get a fair perception of the number of sacks that need collecting

To counter act all of this, why do they not just give everyone a green waste bin, and pick that up in a truck every fortnight. Would solve a shed load of problems r.e. green sacks with and without the "right" marking.

Couldnt agree more.

What is the point in providing half a service.

My little booklet from the council says you can provide your own bags as long as they are suitable - i.e do not split easily. So I cant understand why only bags with logo's will be accepted, like other people suggest? advice?

According to the booklet I got recently, DO NOT leave onnthe pavement, but on the boundary wall (providing you have a boundary wall) I guess it will be a health and safety issue if left on the pavement. I just take my rubbish to the tip, don't think it is necessary to leave it about if you have a car, get rid of it yourself.

I do so hope that eventually when cost is not such an issue we get the oportunity to use a green waste bin although I accept not everyone has the space to store an extra bin. This bin could then be put out on collection day only and we wouldn't have our streets lined by green bags for weeks at a time. Surely a green waste bin would be easier to handle by the Veolia crew as well as easier to use by the householder than green bags.