Green Sack Collection

[RANT]

I am totally exasperated by this council and their completely ill thought out, illogical systems and processes for us all to adhere to.

3 weeks ago I trimmed my hedge for the first time, filled up 3 green sacks and contacted Viola to arrange collection using their web form. On the form it asks if the green sacks have the Viola logo on them. Mine didn't.

Today I get an email from them saying that they won't collect the bags because they don't have the Viola logo on them.

The email then goes on to say that the council was planning to introduce reusable bags but due to budget cuts won't be doing so. It continues by saying that I can collect single use bags with the Viola logo on from (blah blah blah)...

How on earth does it make sense to force us to use their bags and how does it save the council, and ultimately us the tax payer, money? Answer, it doesn't.

So now I either have to take the wet, filthy sacks to the tip myself, getting my car wet and filthy in the process, or transfer the material to specific Viola sacks... :loopy:

This council is a joke...

[/RANT]

The clue is in your own post..... VEOLIA! they are the ones who say you have got to use their green sacks, they are the ones running the scheme. Also, if you had done a bit of research you'd realise that you have to use their bags instead of just assuming that you can use what ever you like.

At least you got a response, my green bags, with logo, have been sat outside our house for a month despite 1 call and an email each week.

At least you got a response, my green bags, with logo, have been sat outside our house for a month despite 1 call and an email each week.

We have just had a collection today after there being green bags up and down the road for weeks.

The clue is in your own post..... VEOLIA! they are the ones who say you have got to use their green sacks, they are the ones running the scheme. Also, if you had done a bit of research you'd realise that you have to use their bags instead of just assuming that you can use what ever you like.

Not according to the email I received. It states that it is "Veolia Environmental Services and Sheffield City Council working closely together".

Regardless of whose idea it is, it is just plain stupid. Trying to saving money by making people use Veolias, free bags which they have to produce and distribute themselves... A five year old could work out that it is more economical for them to allow people to use their own bags. Bureaucracy gone mad again...

When I filled out the form online there was no mention that they wouldn't collect the bags if they weren't specific Veolia ones. The form asked if they had the logo, I checked the no box, then it stated that the bags would be collected within 20 days...

Why not take tehm to tip in the first place? They make the street look a mess, dogs pee up them (not pleasant for the council collecting them) If I have more than two I go to the tip. The lads there are very helpful.

Why not take tehm to tip in the first place? They make the street look a mess, dogs pee up them (not pleasant for the council collecting them) If I have more than two I go to the tip. The lads there are very helpful.

Because the service is supposed to be available to have the waste collected. Not everyone has a car or other means of transport to get items to the tip either.

You need to leave out at least 3 bags before they will collect them.

It is not this council that is to blame, it is the last one surely. On the radio this morning it also said something about the blue bin contact with veolia had not been signed yet.

The green bags are a pain as people who use them nearly always then leave them on the pavement which they're not supposed to do. Veolia can then take up to four weeks in which to collect them which is just plain silly

[RANT]

I am totally exasperated by this council and their completely ill thought out, illogical systems and processes for us all to adhere to.

3 weeks ago I trimmed my hedge for the first time, filled up 3 green sacks and contacted Viola to arrange collection using their web form. On the form it asks if the green sacks have the Viola logo on them. Mine didn't.

Today I get an email from them saying that they won't collect the bags because they don't have the Viola logo on them.

The email then goes on to say that the council was planning to introduce reusable bags but due to budget cuts won't be doing so. It continues by saying that I can collect single use bags with the Viola logo on from (blah blah blah)...

How on earth does it make sense to force us to use their bags and how does it save the council, and ultimately us the tax payer, money? Answer, it doesn't.

So now I either have to take the wet, filthy sacks to the tip myself, getting my car wet and filthy in the process, or transfer the material to specific Viola sacks... :loopy:

This council is a joke...

[/RANT]

I gather you have a black bin?

This is the reply I got today.

Thank you for your email of 30th April regarding the green sacks collections service.

We are currently in discussions with our contractor Veolia with a view to introducing changes to the green sacks collection service to make it easier for residents to use. One of these changes includes the introduction of scheduled collections which will mean that households receive a collection calendar showing when the sacks will be collected (removing the need for residents to contact Veolia to arrange a collection).

Whilst storage issues on the vehicles, and the reliability of using crews to replenish bags after each collection, means that this isn’t an option we are looking at, we are exploring whether we could allow residents the choice to provide their own green sacks. This will allow residents the choice to collect sacks free of charge from libraries/housing offices etc, or to buy them from supermarkets – whichever is easiest. Although no decision has been taken on this as yet, it is expected that one will be made within the next few weeks.

Kind regards,

Neil Townrow

Waste Management Officer

Sheffield City Council

Tel: 0114 2037622

I gather you have a black bin?

Of course I have a black bin. The point is to try to recycle the waste into compost and not take up valuable space in the already over stretched land fill sites...