Fowler street neepsend

Does anyone have any information about Fowler street neepsend please?

Have a look at PictureSheffied. There are some pics of Fowler Street before it was pulled down.

My g g grandfather ran The Locomotive pub at number 2, Fowler Street close to the railway.

Have a look at PictureSheffied. There are some pics of Fowler Street before it was pulled down.

My g g grandfather ran The Locomotive pub at number 2, Fowler Street close to the railway.

Thanks Daryl!

My dad lived with his sister, Alice Price and family many years ago. I remember a family opposite that had a baby every year. Do you remember them?

Can't remember individuals. I lived over on Fox Street and walked over to Woodside (where Fowler Street was) to play with mates. The family who had a child each year was not too unusual - it seems to be a way of life - soon to be replaced by watching TV in the 50/60s.

Darryl

Darryl, Fowler Street was never Neepsend, it was Pitsmoor. You could class Neepsend on the other side of the railway maybe. All the kids in Fowler, Reginald St, Marshall St, went to Pyebank School. Maybe some went to Wooside but it was still Pitsmoor.

This is true Texas. The area bounded by Pitsmoor Road, Woodside Lane and the railway has been called Woodside, Pitsmoor and Neepsend by different people. My grandfather lived on Birley Street next to Fowler Street and the family refered to the address as "Woodside". He worked on Harvest Lane on the other side of the railway and this was refered to as Pitsmoor. Different names for the same place - as you say Pitsmoor is the correct one.

Darryl

can anyone tell me exactly where Fowler street was? I seem to remember walking under a bridge.

Jackmarr, Fowler St ran from Pitsmoor Rd, to Macro St. If you walked the whole length from top to bottom you passed Hayward Rd, Marshall St, Reginald St, and then you were at the bottom. ( I may have missed a couple of thoroughfares there but that was roughly it). If you then turned right you passed the bottom of Birley St, carried on a little way and then hit Woodside Lane. Here you could turn left under a railway arch. That's the nearest Fowler St got to a railway arch.

But, I didn't give you enough. I haven't been in Sheffield for 50 years or so but I've looked on Google Earth and the area is now all open space or so it seems. I wonder, are you still there? If so, and you stand at the top of what's left of Woodside Lane and look to your right, there was a pub called the 'Bridgefield' about 70yds away. That was right at the top of Fowler. Let your eye travel straight down, and if you want to walk go in a straight line until you come to the railway. Then you are at the bottom of Fowler St that was.

Off thread but my wifes grandmother lived on Fowler St (Annie Denial) and used to joke that they lived at the very top...they started at the bottom but the bed bugs carried them up.:hihi::hihi:.Sheffield humour eh.

No man', thats the truth. The top end was 'gentile', the bottom a bit murky.