Fowler street neepsend

Have a look at PictureSheffied. There are some pics of Fowler Street before it was pulled down.

My g g grandfather ran The Locomotive pub at number 2, Fowler Street close to the railway.

My ancestor Hildabert de Lacey Pigott ran what must be the same pub as his was at 2 Fowler St in 1891

Where do I find pictures of Fowler St Pitsmoor :help:

Where do I find pictures of Fowler St Pitsmoor :help:

If you go onto Picture Sheffield site, there are lots of pictures of Fowler Street, Though you will have to plough through some pics of fife Street, Wincobank, before you get to Fowler Street, as Fife St was called Fowler Street originally.

Those pictures certainly bring back memories. I particularly like the one looking down Haddon Terrace from Woodside Lane, the first line of houses across the middle of the shot were the backs of houses on Fowler, the posh part. Further up the shot are the backs of houses on Pitsmoor Road.

Where the photographer was shooting from there was always a gang of dogs present, led by an Old English Sheepdog type, called Mac I think. He always used to walk on three legs.

Interesting to see the photograph was taken in 1957 or thereabouts, and by some medical authority. You see you never know what THEY have in store. One minute Haddon Terrace, the next, nothing.

But, I didn't give you enough. I haven't been in Sheffield for 50 years or so but I've looked on Google Earth and the area is now all open space or so it seems. I wonder, are you still there? If so, and you stand at the top of what's left of Woodside Lane and look to your right, there was a pub called the 'Bridgefield' about 70yds away. That was right at the top of Fowler. Let your eye travel straight down, and if you want to walk go in a straight line until you come to the railway. Then you are at the bottom of Fowler St that was.

Hi Texas long time no speak, hope your well.

Bit of info on Marshal Street that i know. Me Dad (Harry Arthur Woodcock Stevenson) was born there at No 15 with my Grandparents (Harry Stevenson and Margaret Jessie Stevenson (nee Woodcock). I know that my Grandparents owend a number of the houses on there and was unfortunatly ripped off by a solicitor who had advised them to buy but not told them they were ear-marked for demolishion in the slum clearances of i think 1960.

Any other info or pictures you could point me in the direction of would be very much appreciated. There are a few on Picture Sheffield but not many. Thanks and take care :)

Hello to all Sheffielders!

My family lived in this area for over 60 years 1841-1920 (ish)

mainly

Apple Street

Harvest Lane

Wilson Street

Bingley Street

Pheasants Yard

Eagle works

They were the Grays

I have copies of all the census 1841 -1911 if anyone wants them

Thanks for all ur great postings!

Darren Gray

Hi Darren

I was born on Groves Street and also lived on Fowler Street, you mention you have the census can you just check if you can see where we lived as we lived with my Grandmother called Corbridge, any info will be helpfull.

Hi Texas long time no speak, hope your well.

Bit of info on Marshal Street that i know. Me Dad (Harry Arthur Woodcock Stevenson) was born there at No 15 with my Grandparents (Harry Stevenson and Margaret Jessie Stevenson (nee Woodcock). I know that my Grandparents owend a number of the houses on there and was unfortunatly ripped off by a solicitor who had advised them to buy but not told them they were ear-marked for demolishion in the slum clearances of i think 1960.

Any other info or pictures you could point me in the direction of would be very much appreciated. There are a few on Picture Sheffield but not many. Thanks and take care :)

Don't know of any pictures but I was surprised that Arthur was born at number 15 Marshal, I always picture his house just around the corner from Fowler, perhaps two houses up?

Nowadays I visualise those said houses as good quality. They were stone fronted, that's for sure, which says to me that they were originally built for semi professional people, about 1880 or thereabouts. But my memories are of jet black stone, made that color by time and industry of the age. No wonder that your Grandparents were conned into buying some of the properties around there, they were good houses, who knows what the powers that be have up their sleeves.

Hiya !! I have a group called Sheffield Pics N Mix

Sheffield Old & New

If your interested take a look !!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SheffieldPicsNMix/#

Have a look at PictureSheffied. There are some pics of Fowler Street before it was pulled down.

My g g grandfather ran The Locomotive pub at number 2, Fowler Street close to the railway.

Hello to all Sheffielders!

My family lived in this area for over 60 years 1841-1920 (ish)

mainly

Apple Street

Harvest Lane

Wilson Street

Bingley Street

Pheasants Yard

Eagle works

They were the Grays

I have copies of all the census 1841 -1911 if anyone wants them

Thanks for all ur great postings!

Darren Gray

Hi Tinsoldier, do you have any Coopers or Oakes family on your census'. if so I would like a copy if I may. they lived in Pheasant yard. thanks