Sea Fishing trip

Thinking about going sea fishing, i,m wanting to book on a trip on a boat that provides all the sea tackle ? where,s the nearest place to go to actually catch any fish not just a trip out on a boat , cheers

I have fished out of Whitby many times, there are plenty of good charter boats doing trips from 6 hours upwards, most provide tackle and bait.

If you hang about when the boats are being boarded the skippers will usually ask if you want to go fishing, i have had many a half price fishing trip this way.

Having said that, the most productive and experienced skippers are often fully booked, so if you want to go out with one of the more popular boats ring and book first.

The site matsalleh has provided above has just jogged my memory and i can recommend the Rachel K out of Bridlington.

If my memory serves me the bait provided is mussel so you might want to take some feathers to catch your own mackerel or buy some rag when you get there.

I fancy a trip myself now

what sort fish are usually caught round these waters and are they suitable for bringing home for the freezer ?

what sort fish are usually caught round these waters and are they suitable for bringing home for the freezer ?

Codling, Pollock, Whiting, Mackerel, Wrasse, Doggies and Flatties, and if you are lucky Bass.

Had the odd Gurnard too but it depends on the ground you are fishing over and the time of year.

Take a couple of pirks if you are going over the wrecks.

Providing they are of legal size (the Skipper will advise you if you aren't sure) they are most certainly suitable for bringing home, i always bring a couple back.

The site matsalleh has provided above has just jogged my memory and i can recommend the Rachel K out of Bridlington.

If my memory serves me the bait provided is mussel so you might want to take some feathers to catch your own mackerel or buy some rag when you get there.

I fancy a trip myself now

Bridlington always used to be rubbish,being harassed in the street to go on "my" boat.

Overloaded boats.

Poor quality tackle for those that needed it.

Got soaked one time,ploughing through the waves as skipper gave no warnig when we looked back, him and his mate had all their gear on.

Wouldn't move if not catching.

Never again.

Bridlington always used to be rubbish,being harassed in the street to go on "my" boat.

Overloaded boats.

Poor quality tackle for those that needed it.

Got soaked one time,ploughing through the waves as skipper gave no warnig when we looked back, him and his mate had all their gear on.

Wouldn't move if not catching.

Never again.

yes thats about what happened the last time i went a few years ago it may as well have been a pleasure boat trip about 10 or 12 on board (bridlington as well) and no one caught anything not even a bite ,thats what i,m trying to avoid if i go again .

I've never been out and not caught, but i agree the tackle they provide is terrible.

And most of the skipper's always seem to have had a better day "yesterday' or "last week"

Anyone wanting a serious trip needs to do their homework and ask questions before booking or boarding.

I must have been lucky as i have never had one who didn't want to go and catch fish, i have known them to stay clear of the wrecks when it has been rough but that was a sensible call and probably saved us from loosing tackle.

we're lucky here as we can go east or west. I have been fishing off both and my most productive day was fishing out of birkenhead in the mersey channel and irish sea. Had dogfish, pollock, codling.

It's hit and miss with skippers. I would search the fishing dedicated forums and find a skipper who has a good rep.

In terms of groups etc - we generally ask him how much it is to take the whole boat, and then get a group together and split the cost, rather than being jammed onto a boat with other people. Not so much of a problem if you're not bothered, and not feasible if there are only 2 or 3 of you.

I'm up for a trip to the coast if you need numbers.

i went to grimsby a few years ago, paid skipper and he sorted everything, tackle, bait etc

i went to grimsby a few years ago, paid skipper and he sorted everything, tackle, bait etc

but did you catch owt ?