Price of baby formula milk

hi my little one came 5 weeks early tried to breast feed but he was havin it so i had to bottle feed, its hard work doing bottles sterlising bottles, but once you get into it it gets easier,i dont mind about the price of formula as you have to feed your baby which way you have too. also im jealous of all you women able to breast feed.

i see 98% of women on my baby massage are breastfeeding it gets me down and i would have loved to have done it, i probably wont ever get the chance again.

I know what you mean, I went through that too, cried in a public place once because I saw a mother breastfeeding a toddler whilst I was "unable" to BF my daughter unless I used nipple shields, and that enough made me feel like I had failed. The reality is, I haven't and I suspect you haven't either. There's something really, really wrong about a mum feeling bad because for some reason she couldn't BF. My feelings of inadequacy are now gone ( dd is 10 month old) and I am sure they will go in your case too. I can totally relate to the " I'm jealous of women who can BF", but I hope that in time you will start seeing the BFing act as a beautiful and entirely positive thing. I'm sure you've done your best, and there's so much else you can do for your child :-)

You know reading these post has actually made me think, i wonder i the jealous feelings are something that is a new mummy thing? i used shields to feed my first daughter for the first 4 months, so i can obviously relate to your post. I also used to feel jealous of mums that formula fed because they could share the feeding duties and get some rest (silly i know).

You know (though this is now going off topic really) if your babies are happy does it really matter what method we use to feed our children?

gemmapotsxxBreast feeding a prem baby is a whole different set of problems from the norm, i bet non of the mums at your massage group were faced with the ones you were. Dont let it get you down, just enjoy you little while theyre tiny :).

You beat me to it! Breastfeeding is the cheapest way to feed your baby, not to mention all the health benefits that it brings for both you and your baby. :)
It may be the cheapest and more benefits but not all people can breastfeed. I breastfed for 6 weeks but would never slate someone who didn't. After all a little is better than none right?

It may be the cheapest and more benefits but not all people can breastfeed. I breastfed for 6 weeks but would never slate someone who didn't. After all a little is better than none right?

Of course it is!!! the biggest health benefits (for baby) are given in the first few feeds before the milk actually come through.

Ignore the, i breast fed so therefore i am better than you sort posts!! there aload of crap! yes in an ideal world all babies would be happily breast feed, but its not always that clean cut, thank god there are alternatives.

Edited by mrseggy

I dont actually believe that your post was actually aimed at me, however if it was i have actually exclusively breastfeed all three of my children lol :hihi: i have spend 5 years out of the last 8 breast feeding :o gosh i hadnt actually added that up till now :hihi:

But in all honesty i think breastfeeding is far easier than formula, this was the main reason for me, i am far to lazy to deal with washing/sterilizing and making up bottles :D. I would never view someone who chose to bottle feed as lazy!! :confused: quiet the opposite in my opinion.

I was just commenting on what you said about the price of formula- offers on that particular product are not allowed so that partially explains the price. I don't find it outrageously expensive personally, especially if you compare it to the price of formula in the US or Australia ( can you tell I'm on a global "bottle feeding mums" facebook page :hihi:) but I still think the law is out of order, simply because it's punishing women who can't breastfeed. Five years breastfeeding? :clap: It's amazing, you should be proud! You don't realize how demanding it is until you are doing it yourself, every day of breastmilk is something to celebrate!

i see 98% of women on my baby massage are breastfeeding it gets me down and i would have loved to have done it, i probably wont ever get the chance again.
There's no reason why you shouldn't try it again, your body should respond :) Talk to your local breastfeeding support person

You know reading these post has actually made me think, i wonder i the jealous feelings are something that is a new mummy thing? i used shields to feed my first daughter for the first 4 months, so i can obviously relate to your post. I also used to feel jealous of mums that formula fed because they could share the feeding duties and get some rest (silly i know).

We probably constantly compare ourselves to others, as people, professionals, and as parents too, especially at the start I guess because it's new to us. It could also be a female thing, not sure dads do it to the same extent as we do.

@ Gemma@: I agree about premmies too: it's challenging enough as it is, I can't even imagine what it's like in that situation. It just seems really unfair that after what you and your lo have been through you should feel bad.

There's no reason why you shouldn't try it again, your body should respond :) Talk to your local breastfeeding support person

You know strix i dunno why i didnt think of this i actually have a friend that has done this!! very very successfully! deffo speak to an advisor gemma, if this is something you would fancy having a bash at.

Mumsnet is also very very good and supportive wrt BF, there are some very well clued up posters, should you wish to chat to other mums that have done this. :)