The IKEA in Sheffield thread

agree it would only really benefit people who drive (and as i have 3 kids under 7 a bus would be a nightmare!).

Actually its probably a good thing its not coming to sheffield....my overdraft wouldnt cope!!!

sue:D :D :D

A lot of the sheffield people who want ikea already use it. Someone on here has said they go to the Leeds/Bradford store. I go to the Nottingham store.

They have a lot more than John Lewis and at a better price. I can walk stright out with it, where when a friend bought a bed from JL's she had to wait 3 hours to collect as the warehouse were taking in a delivery and couldn't bring it out for her, costing more in parking fees as their car park was full so had to park elsewhere. They didn't even offer to pay her extra parking.

IKEA needs to be here to offer healthy compition as it would make the prices JL offer more resonible.

Jubby

yeh they are building an ikea in doncaster instead

I know, I did the surveys from Ikea for that lol!!! They gave me £10 of vouchers too!

our managers got the vouchers even though we did the survey too

Originally posted by caprice

I know, I did the surveys from Ikea for that lol!!! They gave me £10 of vouchers too!

Oh well, you wont be spending them in Sheffield!

Originally posted by Fudbeer

NRQ?

it's the new retail quarter that is going next to Debenhams. Coles is one of the main shops that is going there.

If IKEA wnat to open let them open. It's called free trade and it works. End of story

Not sure what sort of furniture IKEA sells but sounds a little bit like the Habitat stuff.Flimsy settees that skate about the room .

Tables of balsa wood.And not a proper sideboard for love or money.

What's wrong with DFS.They offer a lovely range of three-piece suites in a choice of exciting fabrics and colourways.And you don't have to pay for around five years.

Today's homemakers are really spoilt for choice.

How narrow minded can this city get. Ikea have been forced out by pressure brought onto the council by the whinging threats of a third party development team.

They will give permission for a so called 'retail park' a mile down the road next to the Gala bingo (although how a Matalan, Brantano and a Carphone Warehouse make it a retail park is beyond me) but they won't allow a real international firm like Ikea to transform a run down piece of land like the former YEB site.

So what if it would have an effect on JL and the city centre. Do they really beleive people will start going back to the city centre just because there are a few new buildings. Not while they are trying to discourage drivers with congestion forming one-way systems and road schemes coupled with extortionate parking charges they won't.

The fact is an Ikea would have brought money into this city from miles around. Money for the city, jobs for its inhabitants and customers for other facilities in the city, including the city centre. It could have been the catilyst for the total reformation of the retail enviroment in Sheffield.

But the short sightedness of the council has put paid to that and now the citizens of Sheffield and the surrounding areas will go and spend that money in West Yorkshire or, even worse, Nottinghamshire. The coucil have seen to that by p***ing off Ikea so much that they are no longer interested in coming to Sheffield.

Will this denial of planning permission have us all running to the city centre to spend our money.... of course it won't. What the likes of John Lewis have done now is shot themselves in the back as there will be no new customer base for them to attract, all they will have is the dwindling band of 60 and 70 somethings who are the only ones that you see milling around their stores. The same goes for Atkinsons. Newer generations have no interest in that type of department store as it has totally the wrong image.

Good on yer, Sheffield City Council.

I couldnt agree more Yorkiepud, i was gutted to read the news that they will not be coming, I love this city but as i said in another discussion and got slated for, we need to move with the times otherwise many of us do go out of town to spend our hard earned cash.

someone mentioned DFS, thats fine but to ge to see their full range you have to go all the way to darley dale as I did last weekend.

John Lewis are a joke, and I speak from experience. they are like "are you being served" ! :0

I worked in the city centre for a long time and loved it , but then after Meadowhall it went on an instant decline, unlike many other cities who have had other massive shopping centres built.

I really hope the future of the city centre is going to be to catch up with the other major cities.

Originally posted by yorkiepudd

They will give permission for a so called 'retail park' a mile down the road next to the Gala bingo (although how a Matalan, Brantano and a Carphone Warehouse make it a retail park is beyond me)

I think that is the crappiest retail park around! I thought the one on Queens Road was pretty poor but this tops it!

It's certainly bad news for Sheffield that an Ikea isn't being built. Love them or hate them, they bring in some serious tourists who make use of the area's other facillities when they visit.

The council need to look at which would attract more visitors - Ikea or an out-of-date department store which has done nothing to encourage visitors to come to Sheffield.