The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Ikea would not work in the city centre. It is definately only suitable for the outskirts of a city. It's like a permenantly busy football stadium most of the weekend.

Imagine the traffic chaos when Wednesday or United are playing, all day, every day, every weekend all year round. Nightmare

Originally posted by jackthedog

The Leeds and Nottingham Ikeas are not positioned at already tight sections of the M1.

The section of motorway that runs between Rotherham and Sheffield is already a terrible bottleneck that needs improvement. Having more traffic queueing to get of the Mway onto the parkway would add to an already bad problem, but - as I said - i'm not sure how much of a problem it would cause.

In the grand scheme of things, would adding an Ikea store have that great an impact?

Have you ever been to IKEA Nottingham near rush hour time?? It is a bottleneck also then you get the M18 bottleneck.

As I said most of the shoppers would be from Sheffield and Rotherham who don't need to use the M1 to get to the parkway. And def wouldn't use it during rush-hour. Morrsion's and Big W are on the Parkway and since these were built don't see any difference with traffic on M1, the roadworks that are needed at Meadowhall have caused more hold ups.

Jubby

Not really saying it's not a problem at Nottingham.

I'm saying it may make our already bad problems a lot worse.

I don't really know the problems it may cause but I think an Ikea in Sheffield is a great Idea.

Why it would take business from the city I know don't cos it is like they sell everything you need.

Some of their stuff is not my taste but there is a large amount of it that is. I have been to both the near ikeas and Nottingham is a nightmare if only because the people there are inconsiderate morons (not the staff).

Moon

The M1 is supposedly being expanded in the future around here anyway - not that I'll believe it until I see it...

I always think it's odd that they they could widen the M1 at sheffield. How can they get more than four lanes over the viaduct? Dont know if it'd be wide enough.

Well that would probably be a bottle neck but I think it was South of that they were planning on expanding, can't remember though to be honest. For what it's worth the viaduct should be rebuilt or something, hardly in tip top shape now is it :)

Maybe we should remove the viaduct completely and just put in two big ramps - one northbound, one southbound, and have the cars travel at increased speed limits so they can just jump the valley.

Seriously though, it is a bit of a problem because the M18 joins just a bit further south too, which causes loads of hassle as the traffic merges.

Well the viaduct isn't in any state to handle more traffic so god knows what they'll do with it - graet planning as per usual :)

It was unlikely that they could predict the growth of traffic when they built the viaduct. It is rubbish though, it's been in various states of repair as long as I can remember.

With these sorts of restrictions, it's easy to see why the council might want to deny Ikea planning permission on congestion grounds.

If they dont have an Ikea, they wont have to bother with any of it. If they do, then problems will arise that they will have to deal with.

It's easier for them to just turn Ikea down, no matter how good it could be for the city.

Just tell 'em sure they can build one but they have to pay for the roads to be sorted, if Ikea tell 'em to **** off (which they probably would) then problem solved, they won't be bugging 'em anymore :D

I should be a planner.......

The planning meetings i've been to could have done with your vision and mastery of problem-solving :)