The IKEA in Sheffield thread

It's going to be an inconvenience for locals once it's open but at least we are forewarned so can plan avoiding routes if we need to.

Its a shame that the old steelworks site on Shepcote Lane wasn't available at the time it was planned. It would have been a much more convenient site for the store.

I for one can't wait to get down there on the opening weekend so I can get stuck in a 4 hour gridlocked traffic jam!

I see what you did there: grIdlocKEd trAffic jam

does anyone know when the new Ikea in Sheffield will be open

What was on the site before they started building Ikea?

Can't for the life of me remember :D

Steel works I seem to think. Can't remember the name though.

TWIL - Timely Wire Industries Ltd

---------- Post added 10-04-2017 at 10:23 ----------

TWIL - Tinsley Wire Industries Ltd

I was talking to one of the construction workers this morning and according to him the completion date will be delayed.

Apparently someone has lost the little Allen Key. :hihi:

Did anybody here who attended the recent assessment days at The Source, Meadowhall get a job offer and start date?

I was left a bit confused as to what type of people they were looking for as I wasn't offered anything.

I felt I had a reasonable chance having spent the last 11 years working for Boots and having over 20 years experience in customer service.

Maybe I was just too old at 43 or just over-qualified.

My friend who also has years or retail experience and has been a pub landlord didn't get offered anything either. He's in his 50s.

There was 380 jobs on offer and at the assessment 90% of the candidates were younger than me, some as young as 17.

Luckily I got offered another job the same week 2 miles from home for the same money with better hours. :)

Edited by alembic

They've got a fair bit of competition with Next Home, Home Bargains, B&M Homestore and The Range nearby. Also Argos, House of Fraser and Debenhams in Meadowhall.

All of these stores sell the same sort of stuff, Ikea just put a different spin on it.

As part of the planning restrictions imposed by Sheffield Council they've had to give over 200 parking spaces to Park & Ride