The IKEA in Sheffield thread

You will understand when it is there and you see it with your own eyes.

Maybe go and have a look at leeds ikea on a busy day. We stopped going there 10 years ago due to the bad traffic.

Maybe 50% of the people where from Sheffield !

You will understand when it is there and you see it with your own eyes.

Maybe go and have a look at leeds ikea on a busy day. We stopped going there 10 years ago due to the bad traffic.

You just have to pick your times. Last time we called, an hour before closing on either Sat or Sun, there was no traffic to speak of. Drove straight in, parked close to the door, got what we needed, had a coffee at Starbucks and left.

Personally can't wait for it to come! Save me a 2 hour round trip to Nottingham!

Happy to say it will be opening in Spring 2017 ... A wee while to wait, but that's the date!

Coincidentally, don't forget many of the people at Ikea everyday will be employees, who may very well use the tram and bikes to get to and from work.

Understand your logic with the rest of your post but in REALITY how many staff will be employed by IKEA, even if 50% travel by tram and bike (will actually be much less than this) and then compare against how many cars will be visiting the site each day. I don't think that argument holds much weight.

Understand your logic with the rest of your post but in REALITY how many staff will be employed by IKEA, even if 50% travel by tram and bike (will actually be much less than this) and then compare against how many cars will be visiting the site each day. I don't think that argument holds much weight.

There's a Don Valley Masterplan which says there should be good footpath and cycle links across the valley. Improving cycle lanes etc in the area isn't therefore necessarily about improving access to the store by cyclists, but about making sure cyclists can travel along the whole route, which will clearly become more difficult with more traffic.

Why is everyone being so negative. Yes it will be busy around that area on a Saturday afternoon, but there are so many positives! At the minute you need to travel to Leeds or Nottingham to visit IKEA, so surely it's better for the environment as people are driving less and better for Sheffield as people are spending money in the city. IKEA will also employ many local people who are likely to be using public transport.

Large retail parks can work as Gateshead and the Metrocentre is a good example.

Again, it's timing. Don't go on a Saturday afternoon!! I've been in and out on a week day evening in the Leeds IKEA and it's been fine.

Sheffield City Council should have approved this years ago!!

I can't see the problem with the Next shop... I have never seen that busy!

Why is everyone being so negative. Yes it will be busy around that area on a Saturday afternoon, but there are so many positives!

Exactly, well said. You know what? Traffic growth is actually a peculiar positive for councils - it means there's economic growth. Improvements will be/are being made to the area's infrastructure.

Why is everyone being so negative. Yes it will be busy around that area on a Saturday afternoon, but there are so many positives! At the minute you need to travel to Leeds or Nottingham to visit IKEA, so surely it's better for the environment as people are driving less and better for Sheffield as people are spending money in the city. IKEA will also employ many local people who are likely to be using public transport.

Large retail parks can work as Gateshead and the Metrocentre is a good example.

Again, it's timing. Don't go on a Saturday afternoon!! I've been in and out on a week day evening in the Leeds IKEA and it's been fine.

Sheffield City Council should have approved this years ago!!

I can't see the problem with the Next shop... I have never seen that busy!

It would have been if Ikea had let the council bully them into accepting a tiny site in the city centre to build on , a site the council have been trying to force on big retailers for years . They tried to get NEXT to take it too , but they were having none of it , hence the reason why NEXT`s planning application was turned down by the council , and they had to go to appeal for common sense to preveil .

When are they making a start? I personally can't wait for it to open. Like has already been said, it'll save me a 2hr round trip to Nottingham. I've never been there and had trouble parking.

I'd have thought pretty soon if it's to open in Sping 2017.