The IKEA in Sheffield thread

The council must be taking its eye off the ball as they usually try and force everyone onto the Staples site.

So, they suggested the location to Next. Who else have they tried to "force" onto there?

.....It wasn't Mrs T that killed th steel industry in Sheffield, it was the large, cheap bulk-ore-carrier, and the bulk-steel carrying ships that made it much cheaper to make steel in a lowcost place like India - and land it here for way under half the price of British-procuded steel.....

What is the link between the demise of steelmaking in Sheffield from 1979 and bulk ore carriers?

Oh! Martyn 1949.

I am not interested in the least about what your point is, I didn't read further down from where you referred to people as scum.

How unkind.

Since 2013 councils can keep a proportion of business rates as well as new rates collected!

No they are given a proportion, to say they keep implies wrongly that they decide how much they get.

yet again your anti council rant is mistaken

If that is the case, why is the Ikea development recommended for approval?

Because even THIS council dont want to look stupid and corrupt a second time

No they are given a proportion, to say they keep implies wrongly that they decide how much they get. yet again your anti council rant is mistaken

And they can keep new business rates, given or keep, it still amounts to council getting a % of the rates, true or not?

And its not scc bashing, im quoting facts, tho you dont seem to like that!!

The only reason I can see the council turning it down is a similar plan down south. Down there they're claiming that it will divert further custom from a town centre.

If that is the case then they're missing the point - the custom to Sheffield Ikea won't be at the cost of Sheffield city centre, it will be at the cost of Ikea and surrounding businesses of Nottingham and Leeds.

The only reason I can see the council turning it down is a similar plan down south. Down there they're claiming that it will divert further custom from a town centre.

If that is the case then they're missing the point - the custom to Sheffield Ikea won't be at the cost of Sheffield city centre, it will be at the cost of Ikea and surrounding businesses of Nottingham and Leeds.

This is the reason John Lewis used for their objection to Ikea then withdrew their objection . It was a pretty stupid objection in the first place.

What is the link between the demise of steelmaking in Sheffield from 1979 and bulk ore carriers?

Or between both of those and IKEA?

This is the reason John Lewis used for their objection to Ikea then withdrew their objection . It was a pretty stupid objection in the first place.

Much of john lewis stock is of better quality than ikea. For majority of items we rather go to john lewis than ikea even if they were right next to each other.

There are many things in john lewis ikea does not have and vise versa.

If that is the case, why is the Ikea development recommended for approval?
After 10 years of obstruction and then being backed into a corner by the Next fiasco

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/business/emails-reveal-weak-case-for-rejecting-sheffield-next-store-1-5694362

, I don't think finally approving it is anything to crow over.

Besides which it hasn't been approved yet.

Just found a pack and a half of Glimma tea lights, that must be 150 of them. I suspect we need not go to an IKEA store for quite a while.