The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Had an update from Ikea today that Sheffield City Council is now intending to make a decision on whether to recommend the scheme for approval at a planning committee meeting on the 3rd June, so we will have to see if planning is to be granted

Had an update from Ikea today that Sheffield City Council is now intending to make a decision on whether to recommend the scheme for approval at a planning committee meeting on the 3rd June, so we will have to see if planning is to be granted

3rd of June - I wonder why they are waiting until after the elections? Will it be bad news then for those of us looking forward to having an Ikea in Sheffield?

Prob done that deliberatly so to safeguard seats...or is that just me being cynical lol

The program that was on BBC about planners was a real eye opener! Try to catch it on the iplayer. It shows all the process. It was not Sheffield area but somewhere down south.

Prob done that deliberatly so to safeguard seats...or is that just me being cynical lol

Past experience with this council makes you very cynical.

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 15:57 ----------

The program that was on BBC about planners was a real eye opener! Try to catch it on the iplayer. It shows all the process. It was not Sheffield area but somewhere down south.

Were there plenty of stuffed brown envelopes being passed under the table ?

Gotta love the priorities of SCC. More than willing to 'recognise' Somaliland in order to win a few votes from that community. But delaying a decision on a store that many residents want in the area. The eastern section of Sheffield needs more jobs. This is becoming as farcical as the Next decision.

IKEA could pack up and move elsewhere if they're being mucked about like this. I'm sure Markham Vale near Chesterfield would be happy to take them on.

Edited by NT86

Yes, because delaying the decision for so long has really gone down well with voters such as yourself.

Has it not been mentioned on here that it is actually apparently Ikea who have caused most of the delays in this application, either by request to strengthen their arguments re: Traffic etc. or by not providing correct info? I'm sure I read that on here, or the other place (Skyscrapercity).

Past experience with this council makes you very cynical.

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 15:57 ----------

Were there plenty of stuffed brown envelopes being passed under the table ?

No, but you could certainly see the councillors making the decisions on politics rather than the plan itself / community / the planning depts. advice. To me, it looked like trying to buy votes

It's amazing that this Ikea thread started 10 Years ago and we are still having to go to Nottingham or Leeds to get some cheap shelves!

If you look back in this thread you will find http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9950325&postcount=2196

Which says

"Sadly, ikea Sheffield, has been put back to 2018 now."

When challenged as to where the information came from the reply was

"I'm not a troll .. Tut ..

My husband works for IKEA in management."

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9952506&postcount=2205

Could be the answer is with IKEA or the posters husband.

IKEA Sheffield

In May 2013 we submitted a planning application for a new IKEA store in Sheffield next to Meadowhall Retail Park.

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MN3M84NY09900

June it is then, I sincerely hope that SCC vote in favor. I wonder how long it will take to build if they do, personally I think this can do a lot of good for Sheffield, be really good if there was a park and ride option for cars, then people could hop onto the tram to the city center as well.

Fingers x'd !