The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Official objections have now been submitted by the Tinsley Forum and the East End Quality of Life Initiative.

129 comments of support so far from members of the Public.

today's Star

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/environment-campaigns-oppose-ikea-store-plans-1-5768983

However, just one of 130 members of the public who have given their views to the council are against the plans for the former Tinsley Wire and Betafence factory site off Sheffield Road, Carbrook.
And that one will be the most important when it goes through to SCC approval.

And that one will be the most important when it goes through to SCC approval.

Id really have expected more than 129 comments of support by now. Just takes a couple of clicks.

I don't know why some people are so keen for a foreign purveyor of imported flatpack furniture to come to Sheffield, especially as there are already two Ikeas not that far away from here.

I don't know why some people are so keen for a foreign purveyor of imported flatpack furniture to come to Sheffield, especially as there are already two Ikeas not that far away from here.

Then maybe you should read through this thread, plenty of people have stated why.

....there are already two Ikeas not that far away from here.

I assume you mean the stores at Giltbrook outside Nottingham and Birstall outside Leeds.

Neither of these stores are within my "not far away" zone and certainly too far to go for my pickled herrings.

Not all visitors to IKEA stores use cars and fewer can bring their purchases home in them therefore the proximity of Carbrook tram stop is a plus -but buses are limited at the moment. Future plans like the busway and tram/train fit nicely.

You appear to have a curious opinion of not far!!

I know of a furniture manufacturer no more than an hours drive away from Sheffield that manufactures sofas and other items to IKEA and other major retailers.

Whilst I appreciate that a lot of what IKEA sells is imported, its wrong to say it all is.

And the British alternative, who would provide domestic flatpack furniture of at least equal quality and eye appeal, at the same price level, would be...who, exactly?

Don't be shy, let's have some names :)

sorry forumers out there, but the idia of having an ikea on the streets of sheffeld is a nonon starter. they would like nothing batter then to build a superstore here but the council think we have to many of these kind of outlets, we need fresh blood to come into south yours,just how many B&Qs etc can south yorks support. the powers that be should find a big enough site to accomodate the population of south yorks . think the defuncted sheffield air port that land you could build the bigest mart in britain on all that land there's enough to build a large town there

And the British alternative, who would provide domestic flatpack furniture of at least equal quality and eye appeal, at the same price level, would be...who, exactly?

Don't be shy, let's have some names :)

Point taken, though I don't know why there isn't a British equivalent; assuming the furniture at Ikea is made in Sweden, Swedish labour isn't cheaper than British labour is it??

like or lothe ikea, are scc really going to turn down 100's of jobs that would be created in sheffield, bottom line here, does acc have the right to deny sheffielders the chance of employment??

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android