The IKEA in Sheffield thread

when i contacted ikea a couple of months ago they said they were looking at suitable sites around s yorks

As I said about 6 months ago they look at sites all the time all over the country. S Yorks is just one area.

It would be great if Ikea came to Sheffield and created 500 new jobs for the Sheffield people. That's what we need!! As for John Lewis, why do they feel threatened by Ikea?

I think it would be brilliant. Both in terms of the local economy and the environment, as it would save thousands of Sheffielders the regular commute to Lees/Nottingham. It doesn't matter where it is in Sheffield, as long as they do it! If they build it, we will come.:love::hihi:

I agree, in terms of furniture, the only rival to John Lewis's is Pondsfords, locally, it ain't ever gonna be IKEA, now is it?

no side of Sheffield is wrong... i travel to Nottingham or Leeds at the moment

Ive heard rumours of one possible development appearing just off the motorway/shepcote lane near meadowhall, not sure how true it is though.

on a whole, you look at all the major cities around us in the UK, Manchester, Newcastle, London, Birmingham, Plymouth, Leeds, Liverpool, they are all looking pretty modern and developed, but Sheffield bar one or two buildings still looks the same almost as it did in the 80's.

That's, unfortunately, a good point: TV & film-makers are using Sheffield as a back-drop for 'Broken-Britain' - think: The Full Monty, Prisoner's Wives, This is England '86 - all mainly filmed in Sheffield. :sad:

Well, some developements on this one methinks.

I have just been told that it has indeed been approved, and the plans have been drawn up !

I have just been told that it has indeed been approved, and the plans have been drawn up !

who is you source?

Cool hopefully we should see some plans on the SCC website soon :)

Unless and until you say who told you this, I for one will take this with a pinch of salt.

My dad once bought something from IKEA - never again he said, right cheap tack crap.

My dad once bought something from IKEA - never again he said, right cheap tack crap.

You're an employee of John Lewis are'nt you?? :hihi:

Unless they've found a suitable site, designed it and then bypassed all the usual planning stages in the last few months then I would believe you.

The fact that it would have to go to public consultation at at early stage would suggest you are a troll.