The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Like the ridiculous Tesco's, Asda's,and Sainsbury's????

Not just Ikea I mean all these eye sores and pointless rat labyrinths that are popping up. This used to be the greenest city in the UK.

Your argument seems to be lacking direction. Are you saying that these new big superstores have been built on green spaces? Meadowhall was built on a former industrial land, ditto the retail park, Wicker Tesco et al.

Personally I think a local Ikea on a brownfield site is preferable to Sheffield folk driving to Leeds or Nottingham, spending money on fuel, delivery if its too big and taking the money out of the city.

When I go to Ikea Warrington I invariably combine the trip with other shopping and get it all done in the one place, and have a bit to eat at the same time.

I remember the days when Sheffield was a forward thinking city that was far ahead of the likes of Leeds and Manchester. These days it appears to be the final refuge of failures from elsewhere, that are in control of our planning department, they should adopt the following as their logo.

Sheffield, the city that loves to say No.

I remember the days when Sheffield was a forward thinking city that was far ahead of the likes of Leeds and Manchester. These days it appears to be the final refuge of failures from elsewhere, that are in control of our planning department, they should adopt the following as their logo.

Sheffield, the city that loves to say No.

in this regard long may it continue!!!!!!!!

Your argument seems to be lacking direction. Are you saying that these new big superstores have been built on green spaces? Meadowhall was built on a former industrial land, ditto the retail park, Wicker Tesco et al.

Personally I think a local Ikea on a brownfield site is preferable to Sheffield folk driving to Leeds or Nottingham, spending money on fuel, delivery if its too big and taking the money out of the city.

When I go to Ikea Warrington I invariably combine the trip with other shopping and get it all done in the one place, and have a bit to eat at the same time.

Like me it appears you have too much time on your hands!!!!!!

in this regard long may it continue!!!!!!!!

You will fit in well. :rolleyes:

You will fit in well. :rolleyes:

finally....I need to fit in somewhere.

I do think that forward facing isn't just copying the regional cities. I would like to see more innovation in Sheffield. The fact it is geographically, environmentally, economically proficient in so many areas seems be undermined or never explored. the capabilities of this town in the past seems to left in the pages of history.

We could as one city, move to utilalise the great strengths we hold and apply them to more robust infrastructure and vibrant fiduciary endeavours and leave the "well if Leeds are doing it we should" mentality behind for good. but that’s just me, I could be wrong.

I Don't think build an Ikea will strengthen or add value to Sheffield.

finally....I need to fit in somewhere.

I do think that forward facing isn't just copying the regional cities. I would like to see more innovation in Sheffield. The fact it is geographically, environmentally, economically proficient in so many areas seems be undermined or never explored. the capabilities of this town in the past seems to left in the pages of history.

We could as one city, move to utilalise the great strengths we hold and apply them to more robust infrastructure and vibrant fiduciary endeavours and leave the "well if Leeds are doing it we should" mentality behind for good. but that’s just me, I could be wrong.

Neither will it weaken it, I'm currently sitting a short walk from the Sheffield/Peak Park border, Sheffield CC can't really upset me anymore, I've been in the centre 8 times in the last 16 months, and 4 of those were bank visits.

The centre will never return to it's former glory, Sevenstone will never happen and the market funding will not be there, all we are is a Rotherham with two universities.

This used to be the greenest city in the UK.
Did you look at the map jossyboy posted?

The (alleged) implantation site is -currently- an industrial wasteland, and has been for years. Not much green about it at all.

I should know, I've been passing it by twice a day for the last 3 years.

<...>I would like to see more innovation in Sheffield. The fact it is geographically, environmentally, economically proficient in so many areas seems be undermined or never explored. <...>
Never heard of the AMP, then, have you?

One of the more visible examples (amongst very many others) of Sheffield-based and -made innovation.

Most of it with global scope, never mind regional or national.

But the engineers, researchers and designers still need to furnish their lodgings (and often as not have quite an affinity with minimalist/Nordic design) :D:P

Obviously, IKEA stores are entirely automated, so the new site will not create any new jobs, the wages paid for which would help sustain other local businesses...is that your argument, or have I misunderstood you somehow? Edited by L00b

There is plenty of spare land around sheffield, just off the airport link road for instance

Don't Ikea generally trade way outside the towns, usually near the motorway network? Could think of loads of suitable locations on the M18 corridor? Don't they have their distribution area on just off there?

Ikea have tried and tried for years to get into Sheffield (near Catcliffe area I think) and it has been knocked back so many times by those fantastically forward thinking councillors! I understand that Ikea had given up trying. But Wadsley Bridge? Wrong side of Sheff me thinks!

Perfect if you ask me S10 is just a mere 10mins by car. I cant see it happening there though having queued to get off the Motorway around Bradford whilst visiting friends(near the store). Posh MFI really when it all boils down good marketing.

Would really really like IKEA in Sheffield Sheffield City Council

Fed up with having to drive to Nottingham:love:

I really hope we get an Ikea, much better than going to Leeds or Nottingham! :)