The IKEA in Sheffield thread

The council will no doubt carry on throwing spanners in the works, just back track on this thread, some are completely against the creation of 500 private sector jobs.
Cutting one's nose to spite one's face.

Seems a Sheffield specialty, in my experience. Which explains a lot...

Its never going to happen, at least not within Sheffield and definately not on the old YEB site. Have you seen the size of the Leeds store and the amount of lands it needs?
Neither the Leeds nor the Nottingham IKEAs are that big at all.

Most of the land requirement for IKEA is for regional distribution centers (e.g. one east of Doncaster, right by the M18, and another in my home city in North East France, right by the A31: they dwarf the Leeds and Nottingham 'store' versions). They're easy to tell apart: the regional distribution center looks to be at least 4 times the size of a 'store' and has a never-ending procession of artics queuing to load and unload, day and night :D

Also Nottingham & Leeds are both within an hour and Manchester & Warrington within 1.5hrs. There are areas within the UK that are less well served and I would have thought IKEA would be concentrating on those areas.
Never say never, the prime target of IKEA (volume revenue) is students.

Do these "less well served" areas of the UK also have two Universities, one of which in the Russell Group, within yards of one another? ;)

The trick, for IKEA, is to measure how much a Sheffield store would cannibalise Leeds/Nottingham sales versus how many more sales to expect from peeps who never bother to go to Leeds/Nottingham because it's too far/impractical/etc. and from peeps who would go and make incidental purchase more often due to greater proximity.

And I'm sure they have an army of s**t-hot retail analysts to calculate them just that ;)

Edited by L00b

Cutting one's nose to spite one's face.

Seems a Sheffield specialty, in my experience. Which explains a lot...

Neither the Leeds nor the Nottingham IKEAs are that big at all.

Most of the land requirement for IKEA is for regional distribution centers (e.g. one east of Doncaster, right by the M18, and another in my home city in North East France, right by the A31: they dwarf the Leeds and Nottingham 'store' versions). They're easy to tell apart: the regional distribution center looks to be at least 4 times the size of a 'store' and has a never-ending procession of artics queuing to load and unload, day and night :D

Do these "less well served" areas of the UK also have two Universities, one of which in the Russell Group, within yards of one another? ;)

The trick, for IKEA, is to measure how much a Sheffield store would cannibalise Leeds/Nottingham sales versus how many more sales to expect from peeps who never bother to go to Leeds/Nottingham because it's too far/impractical/etc. And I'm sure they have an army of s**t-hot retail analysts to calculate them just that ;)

Let property landlords would be very pleased, as would young folk just starting out with their own homes. SCC would be furious if IKEA and other companies came to Sheffield and drastically reduced unemployment during the term of the coalition government.

i would love to see an Ikea in Sheffield, tho doubt it would happen, Sheffield councilors are shall we say, anti change unless it fits green ideals

Are you sure?

There's no doubt that students do shop their but most students either live in halls or furnished rented accommodation.

I would have thought young professionals just buying their own home or families wanting value for money are their prime targets.

Go into any store and you will see young couples and families primarily.

we bought our kitchen from Ikea and it was easy to install, no parts were missing and when we changed part of the design layout they refunded the parts we no longer needed without quibble.

the kitchen cost £2k less than the next nearest quote too.

the only negative thing i could say is that its a pain to have to drive to Leeds 1 hour each way which we have now done 3 times.

Are you sure?
Yes, it's the basic idea underpinning IKEA at its very beginning in Sweden, and still to this day.

Look at a store implantation map and correlate with university locations, not only in the UK but also in other countries in which IKEA is present.

Students may not buy a lot of furniture or stuff at the expensive end of the scale, but a lot of them buy decorating items/cutlery/crockery/etc. That's why I referred to volume sales: on aggregate, it represents more revenue/added value for IKEA.

There's no doubt that students do shop their but (i) most students either live in halls or (ii) furnished rented accommodation.
My turn ;) Are you sure about (i) and (ii)?

Go into any store and you will see young couples and families primarily.
On weekends, yes. Have you been during the week, during term time? Edited by L00b

i love ikea and really hope they bring it to sheffield. dont like having to travel to leeds, but i love theyre stuff. if it was at wadsley bridge evn better! 5 min from where i live.

It would be really good to have an Ilea in Sheffield. It wouldn't matter what side of the city it was I would go.

I was told on Friday that planning permission had been granted for Ikea near the Parkway.

But, I've been trying to find the actual facts, but I have been unable to so far.

I really really hope it's true this time.

I was told on Friday that planning permission had been granted for Ikea near the Parkway.

But, I've been trying to find the actual facts, but I have been unable to so far.

I really really hope it's true this time.

How many times?

The site next to the Parkway will never be used for an Ikea.

I wouldn't wish an Ikea anywhere near to where I live.

Have you seen the traffic they generate together with all the other shops/restaurants that are built around it.

How many times?

The site next to the Parkway will never be used for an Ikea.

I wouldn't wish an Ikea anywhere near to where I live.

Have you seen the traffic they generate together with all the other shops/restaurants that are built around it.

You're right we don't want companies investing in Sheffield and employing local people not to mention bringing money into the city from nearby do we?

how many times?

The site next to the parkway will never be used for an ikea.

I wouldn't wish an ikea anywhere near to where i live.

n.i.m.b.y :)