The IKEA in Sheffield thread

Yeah, Sheffield that small town up north somewhere. :D

Originally posted by Geoff

Ok, here's the official response:

I have spoken with our property manager and all we are prepared to say about Sheffield at this time is:

IKEA are investigating other sites in closer proximity to Sheffield town centre and we are in on going discussions with the local council.

Running a web site with over 3,000 Sheffielders (plus others of course) has it benefits from time to time :)

Cheers for that Geoff,

Maybe Rotherham or Barnsley or maybe even Chesterfield will allow it, be better than driving to Nottingham to shop there.

Jubby

I LOVE IKEA!!!:D:D

we should start a petition then submit it to the council!! (probably won't do anything though)

How about a new Ikea near the Halfway terminus of Supertram. I'm sure Chesterfield people would use it too. There is already a good park and ride facility

Originally posted by riddo7up

How about a new Ikea near the Halfway terminus of Supertram. I'm sure Chesterfield people would use it too. There is already a good park and ride facility

You'll look well getting your flatpack wardrobe home on the tram! :D

I read that Ikea has pulled out of plans to build a supermarket on the parkway because of planning objections,therefore unable to create 500 jobs for the people of Sheffield many who would have come from the underdeprived Manor estate.The objections came from the traders in the town centre.The same town centre that Clive Betts wants the council to levy a congestion charge on people entering it.What planet are these people on,let them go and visit the Ikea store in Wakefield and watch all the visitors from Sheffield spending their money there and not in sheffield.

The objections came from one source really ... Cole Brothers (John Lewis)... who threatened to pull out of the NRQ if IKEA receive a consent.

Originally posted by Tony

The objections came from one source really ... Cole Brothers (John Lewis)... who threatened to pull out of the NRQ if IKEA receive a consent.

NRQ?

When i go to the ikea near Leeds I also plan my other shopping around going up there ie. My money goes to other shops in that area......I think Sheffield city centre would have been boosted by the Ikea but thats gone down the drain now.

Unless they were being very selective about where they recruited from, I would have thought that all areas in SHeffield would have benefited from the jobs.

I would imagine that there would be an impact on city centre traders. And the impact would be a 'knock on' effect, too. To get the best from Ikea you need a car or to hire your own transport. In other words, you need to have some spending power. If Ikea took more folks from the city centre with spending power then we can expect a further 'killing off' of teh city centre, with an increase in the 'cheap and cheerful' shops that we've seen growing up on the Moor and Fargate.

I cannot see how a 'closed environment' on the Parkway would benefit city centre shops in any way.

As for congestion charging - it is dumb that the Council attempts to support the city centre with one hand (no Ikea) whilst whacking it with the other (Congestion charges). But I think we need to get used to the latter - every city in the UK will have them before long.

Ikea is OK but to get out to the Parkway and do an Ikea shop, you'd still be driving. So why not go to the Leeds one instead? There is a load of other shops around the Leeds one - if the Ikea here in Sheffield were to be the centrepiece of a new retail park then I could see more sense in it, but really it's just another commercial enterprise that benefits folks who have private transport. Would make more sense even for Ikea to put it in an existing retail park to get the 'knowc on' effect.

And, to be quite frank...Ikea's customer service is crap.... ;-)