Stradbroke Memories

Oh right, They abolished the 6th form quite a few years ago.My son & daughter attend the school now.

what do they think to the school now? are there any of the old teachers still there?

They both like the school although alot has changed since my day as it will have in all schools. The teachers keep a tab on the kids by having registration every lesson using PC'S & PDA's. The school is really well equipped technology wise and even doubles as an adult learning centre.

I don't know whether you remember Mr Tingle but he is still there as is Miss Jackson, Mr Swift and Mr Parsonage was still there up until this year when he sadly died of cancer. That's all I can think of at the moment.

god Mr Tingle. When we use to do football and rugby he used to chop me down all the time. thought he would have retired by now. bet hes not chopping them down as muchnow. Where abouts did you live? we lived at stradbroke place. The holmes family.

my wife was there she left around 1980 and our kids are there now, a y11 & a y9,

I went to Brook,when slipper happy Edwin Shaw was head.I got to know him well if you know what I mean.Left in 61 god it makes me feel old.:cry:

To Emubill......I used to live on Stradbroke Drive and I see from your present location we don't live far from each other now.:hihi:

I used to live on Glenholme Road. Brook school was demolised a few years ago and the site is now a housing development.

big un - where do you live now then? if you don't want to post pm me

emubill look in your PM box.:wave:

We were one of the first families to move to the Stradbroke Est when it opened, very early 50s. Might even have been 1950. Smelter Wood Way. Back then, there used to be the "hollow" back of our house. A small ravine that had a stream going through it. Led across a road to a farmer's field that led to Smelter Wood. We spent many happy times there, trying to avoid the "Wenlock" gang, who were supposed to be a fearsome bunch from Handsworth. We never ever saw them, so they probably were a figment of our imagination? Every time I go back to Sheffield to visit my brother, I've lived in Canada since '69, I drive on to the Stradbroke est and park the car outside of that house we used to live in (No. 23), hoping the owner won't think I'm up to anything. Sad story. My parent split up there while I was growing up. That kind of thing wasn't done back in those days, so the house and all the memories, good and bad, have special meaning for me. I was there this past April. What I noticed is that the main road going into the estate from Richmond Rd (I forget its name) was lined with flowering trees. Looked very nice, actually. There used to be apple orchards where the Stradbroke school was built and we'd go "scromping" for apples. Thanks to Eyespy for thinking of Stradbroke.