Woodhouse and Stradbroke late 50s & 60s

CraigW That is brilliant me and Stuart where the same age give or take, Billy was a year or so older. If I remember right their mum was a singer on the club circuit.Thank you for posting its good to hear of friends not seen for a very long time

Their mother was Mable and Father Harold.

Mable was a singer as Marlene still has her in various costumes in a monatage picture, framed in her living room.

Hiya TopTen and all

We lived on the Mauncer opposite the Harris's and Mellors at No.35 the Gummer Family -my brother Owen was pals with Dougy Lambert. I am Lynne and my sister was Carol. Know all the names Lamberts, Briggs, Burgess, Roebuck, Halls, Robinsons, Forrests. Great days, Woodhouse was a lovely little village with Mrs Callaby's and Miss Knights, and the cobbler in the old yard at the end of Stradbroke Road (which was just a track when we moved in) behind the old corner Post Office, Mr Chapman was the postman very smart and bang on time every day. Used to love the old cinema matinees on a Saturday 6d. downstairs 9d. upstairs. Memories, memories..........................

Hiya TopTen and all

We lived on the Mauncer opposite the Harris's and Mellors at No.35 the Gummer Family -my brother Owen was pals with Dougy Lambert. I am Lynne and my sister was Carol. Know all the names Lamberts, Briggs, Burgess, Roebuck, Halls, Robinsons, Forrests. Great days, Woodhouse was a lovely little village with Mrs Callaby's and Miss Knights, and the cobbler in the old yard at the end of Stradbroke Road (which was just a track when we moved in) behind the old corner Post Office, Mr Chapman was the postman very smart and bang on time every day. Used to love the old cinema matinees on a Saturday 6d. downstairs 9d. upstairs. Memories, memories..........................

Hi Linnet as said I lived on the opposite side to you but yes knew all them,still bear a scar on my head where John Forrest kicked me playing football.There was a little wooden hut down in the village that I bought my first record from.When older did my drinking in the Daggers / Royal /Stag /George.Happy days do you remember the Flints? they where related to the Harris,s lived opposite the Forrest,s

Yes knew the Flints, they were cousins of the Harris's, still see Raymond. Was Johnny Forrest sorry he kicked you in the head or were you being a woos?? Didn't frequent the Woodhouse pubs much, I was a city girl so headed for the Esquire after leaving school then in the heady days of 1966 off the the Old Harrow (now an Indian Rest) and the Blue Bell. What was your surname? So how is Cyprus? long time since I was there, we used to lived out Middle East so used to holiday in Cyprus on our way back to UK. Nice island.

My name is Ken Simpson was I a bit of a woos? don,t think so, but suppose I could have been John,s mum took me Dr O,Brian to have it stitched.Used to live opposite Billy Robinson we played all sorts of games then football/ tiggy /kisscatch/rustbumbum,I moved to new Stradbroke when I was 10.

As for Cyprus yes lifes good bloody hot just now

Yes John's mother was a lovely lady - can see her now and Mrs Robinson who you could always hear! Life was a lot simpler then, and w'dhouse a proper village. Remember all the games, we could play on the Mauncer as there were no cars. Fond memories of the last bus from Pond Street as well, the usual crowd on board used to hold it up for my friend and I if we were not on it and a mad dash thru Pond St would ensue or if the conductor was having none of it we would have to run on to the Midland Station to which a loud cheer would go up. Must have been a lot fitter then. Enjoy your weather and send some over here.

is trevor lambert related to you, came off sheffield road.

I went through school with Trevor. If i remember correctly he had a sister.

Hi, Yes Trevor was my nephew, and Tina and Maxine are his sisters, Don't know if you have heard....Trevor passed away 3rd March this year. So sad!

I knew this area very well back then as I lived on the Stradbroke estate and my girl friend lived in Woodhouse on Beaver Hill Rd. Used to walk to her home past the 'New Stradbroke' estate most nights. Remember taking a shortcut through a gennel that ran alongside a church cemetery.

I lived on the Strad until 1961, then moved to Woodhouse until 1975.Remember Fred and Edna Hobson at the Daggers, and George Woodhouse at the Stag. I was a member of the Central club and played football for the Brunswick.Later I played darts for the Angel ,run by Jim Mcguigan. A long time ago that seems like yesterday.

I knew this area very well back then as I lived on the Stradbroke estate and my girl friend lived in Woodhouse on Beaver Hill Rd. Used to walk to her home past the 'New Stradbroke' estate most nights. Remember taking a shortcut through a gennel that ran alongside a church cemetery.

I lived at 75 Ravenscroft Road, Stradbroke until 1964 when we moved back to Walkley where my grandparents were. I remember Stradbroke very well and we knew Mr & Mrs Wright next door, Mr Machin, Glenholme |Drive (a brickie who kept canaries) and his kids Eric and Valerie. Also knew a Mr Timms Glenholme Road who had a motorbike and sidecar! The 'wreck' was across the road to play in from our house and the woods were great places to play as well ! I broke my arm falling off a rope swing.

I know the gennel next to the cemetery. One end started from Stradbroke Road next to the cemetery gates and you came out the other end on to the Mauncer Estate. I used to lived in Wudhuss until I married and my family still live there. Fondest memories of the village:love:

---------- Post added 30-03-2018 at 15:40 ----------

I lived at 75 Ravenscroft Road, Stradbroke until 1964 when we moved back to Walkley where my grandparents were. I remember Stradbroke very well and we knew Mr & Mrs Wright next door, Mr Machin, Glenholme |Drive (a brickie who kept canaries) and his kids Eric and Valerie. Also knew a Mr Timms Glenholme Road who had a motorbike and sidecar! The 'wreck' was across the road to play in from our house and the woods were great places to play as well ! I broke my arm falling off a rope swing.

Hi I remember the rec very well - I spent many an hour on the swings & roundabouts. Nearly fell off the swinging plank once when some kids had worked it nearly up to the 'bumpers.' You used to slide back & forth in between the hand grips when it got going. I'm going back to the late 50s early 60s here. We also used to sit in the park keeper's hut when we'd had enough of the rides. Didn't see him very often but the hut was usually open. Great times:D