Stradbroke Memories

My gran lived on glenholme drive Stradbrook with my uncle joe and aunty Sandra they had two kids kathy and neil turner who must have gone to the local school.

I lived on the Wybourn estate and thoughts grans was a world away from ours it was like a day out going there in the early 70's so quiet and clean.

Anyone remember my cousins Cathy and Neil?

My aunt and uncle (Kath & Fred Savage) live on Smelterwood Road. They have lived there forever... well, as long as I can remember! Their daughter June probably attended the local school in the 1960's. One of my fondest memories is picking bluebells in the woods.

:)

Ahh Memories, Playing in the woods, the indian tree? My mumbuying cakes from 'Hamers' or something like that. Sledging down the 'cow field' I lived there for 20 yrs and don't live far away now.

Ive lived here all my life, am 37 now maybe we know each other, we often nicked bundles of hay from the farmer and put them under the indian tree for a soft landing. me and my twin brother lived on Smelterwood Cres and used to hang around with Hock and Beck do you know them ? :)

I grew up on Richmond Hill Road, off Stradbroke Road, in fact I was born there in 1939 and so can remember all the farmers' fields which became the Stradbroke Estate. Firstly, in about 1947, the prefabs were erected on Stradbroke Road, followed by the development of the estate which commenced in the early 50's. I left Richmond in 1959, when called up for national service but my mother continued to live in that house until about four years ago, when she moved into a bungalow because of her advancing years. She is 92 now. From my bedroow I could see Normanton Springs, Frecheville and lots of open fields, there was no Hackenthorpe or anything else out that way.

Ive lived here all my life, am 37 now maybe we know each other, we often nicked bundles of hay from the farmer and put them under the indian tree for a soft landing. me and my twin brother lived on Smelterwood Cres and used to hang around with Hock and Beck do you know them ? :)

I think I know you are, have you got a twin brother?

I can remember a crowd hanging aroung the indian tree sometimes, inc a girl called sarah (dad always had a camper van)

Not sure who Hock & beck are though.

lived on stradbrook (smelterwood drive) left about 10/11 years ago

I lived on Richmond Hill Road and went to Stradbroke school on the first day it opened. It was great as I used to go to Woodthorpe till then, and that was old with outside toilets.I went to Brook Secondary and left in 1960.

I lived on Richmond Hill Road and went to Stradbroke school on the first day it opened. It was great as I used to go to Woodthorpe till then, and that was old with outside toilets.I went to Brook Secondary and left in 1960.

Silly, you'd probably have known my brother, as he went to both those schools around the same time. I'll send you a P.M.

Hi Rog,

You'll not be aware of this but, Silly is my sister - small world i'ntit?

Mike

Hi Big Bro glad to see that you are still alive.:hihi:

Hi Rog,

You'll not be aware of this but, Silly is my sister - small world i'ntit?

Mike

It is, Puffin. And Silly says that she remembers my brother and maybe even me as well. I'll send you a PM. Maybe I can place you. Cambridgeshire is a nice part of the world.

My mum went to stradbroke on the first day it opened too, her name was Elaine scafe.