Stradbroke Memories

hi rog ,i was just browsing this thread and saw your reply ;i also presently live on smelterwood way-bottom house on the right but only for the last 9 years;what number did you live at as there are still many older residents still living here and i will ask if any one remembers you,regards.

Hello gadget_man. I used to live next door to rogG at 21. My best mates, the twins Mick and Malc Birley, lived in your house. I remember rog and his brother Peter, altho they were both a bit older than me. I think they moved out around 1958 and Mr & Mrs Hudson moved in. A lovely couple, they had a son called Walter [again older than me] and a huge friendly dog. As far as I can remember the Birley family had your house up until maybe the mid 1970s. If this thread is still live and you see this send me an email. I've only just joined the Forum so I can't send you one yet.

i lived on ravenscroft rd when it was first built .went to stradbroke junior for about two months then to brook school all the teachers were new used to call in turners shop for penny arrows and horlicks tablets .we used to wash jam jars out and take them back to the shop and get pennies for them because rationing was still on

i lived on ravenscroft rd when it was first built .went to stradbroke junior for about two months then to brook school all the teachers were new used to call in turners shop for penny arrows and horlicks tablets .we used to wash jam jars out and take them back to the shop and get pennies for them because rationing was still on

do you remember there used to be an apple orchard where Stradbroke school was eventually built? we used to go scrumping for apples in there.

is trevor lambert related to you, came off sheffield road.

I went through school with Trevor. If i remember correctly he had a sister.

Hi, Yes Trevor was my nephew, and Tina and Maxine are his sisters, Don't know if you have heard....Trevor passed away 3rd March this year. So sad!

I knew this area very well back then as I lived on the Stradbroke estate and my girl friend lived in Woodhouse on Beaver Hill Rd. Used to walk to her home past the 'New Stradbroke' estate most nights. Remember taking a shortcut through a gennel that ran alongside a church cemetery.

I lived on the Strad until 1961, then moved to Woodhouse until 1975.Remember Fred and Edna Hobson at the Daggers, and George Woodhouse at the Stag. I was a member of the Central club and played football for the Brunswick.Later I played darts for the Angel ,run by Jim Mcguigan. A long time ago that seems like yesterday.

I knew this area very well back then as I lived on the Stradbroke estate and my girl friend lived in Woodhouse on Beaver Hill Rd. Used to walk to her home past the 'New Stradbroke' estate most nights. Remember taking a shortcut through a gennel that ran alongside a church cemetery.

I lived at 75 Ravenscroft Road, Stradbroke until 1964 when we moved back to Walkley where my grandparents were. I remember Stradbroke very well and we knew Mr & Mrs Wright next door, Mr Machin, Glenholme |Drive (a brickie who kept canaries) and his kids Eric and Valerie. Also knew a Mr Timms Glenholme Road who had a motorbike and sidecar! The 'wreck' was across the road to play in from our house and the woods were great places to play as well ! I broke my arm falling off a rope swing.

Guest Philsma

I know the gennel next to the cemetery. One end started from Stradbroke Road next to the cemetery gates and you came out the other end on to the Mauncer Estate. I used to lived in Wudhuss until I married and my family still live there. Fondest memories of the village:love:

---------- Post added 30-03-2018 at 15:40 ----------

I lived at 75 Ravenscroft Road, Stradbroke until 1964 when we moved back to Walkley where my grandparents were. I remember Stradbroke very well and we knew Mr & Mrs Wright next door, Mr Machin, Glenholme |Drive (a brickie who kept canaries) and his kids Eric and Valerie. Also knew a Mr Timms Glenholme Road who had a motorbike and sidecar! The 'wreck' was across the road to play in from our house and the woods were great places to play as well ! I broke my arm falling off a rope swing.

Hi I remember the rec very well - I spent many an hour on the swings & roundabouts. Nearly fell off the swinging plank once when some kids had worked it nearly up to the 'bumpers.' You used to slide back & forth in between the hand grips when it got going. I'm going back to the late 50s early 60s here. We also used to sit in the park keeper's hut when we'd had enough of the rides. Didn't see him very often but the hut was usually open. Great times:D

I know the gennel next to the cemetery. One end started from Stradbroke Road next to the cemetery gates and you came out the other end on to the Mauncer Estate. I used to lived in Wudhuss until I married and my family still live there. Fondest memories of the village:love:

think i remember that gennel, was it at the top just before where the milk depot was? which is where the co op is now.

if i remember right there was the estate where mi mate lived, then a farm (bought eggs there before) then the gennel / graveyard, then a further walk is the top of woodhouse village / milk depot

Guest Philsma
think i remember that gennel, was it at the top just before where the milk depot was? which is where the co op is now.

if i remember right there was the estate where mi mate lived, then a farm (bought eggs there before) then the gennel / graveyard, then a further walk is the top of woodhouse village / milk depot

Hi yes that's right, the area's changed like everywhere else but I think the farm's still there. Across from the cemetery is the top of Bishops Hill, which is a quiet little road starting at the other end from Sheffield Road. The last time I took a walk there, which was 20 years ago, there were some really nice houses - it was like walking in the posh part of Woodhouse. I'm glad to see there are still quite a few buildings left with the old stone walls, they're part of the village's charm. On the same side of the road further up I seem to remember an old people's home, it was on the corner with Sheffield Road. It was pulled down years ago and I don't know what's there now, if anything at all.