Stradbroke Memories

moved in there about 1953 i went to athlstan school then to brook imust have been there from about 57 to 61 round about them times icant remember a windmill on richmond rd

Yes I went to Athelstan school in the first year it opened, Mr Thomas was the head master. Left 1n 1953 to go to Brook school Mr Shaw was the head, left 1957 to live in Derby.Did you know there is a reunion each year for ex Brook pupils that attended the school from 1953 to 1965. the last reunion was in November this year at the Anglers on Richmond Road.

I went to Stradbroke in 1953 when it opened and went to Brook 1956 till 1960. Brook school also have regular get together's at the Pheonix Ridgway mid day not so many go but you are welcome and we have a meal and a chat. It is for those who left up to 1967 and great if you have retired as most of them have. I can't remember a windmill on Richmond Road either.

Wasn't there a little store that sold fruit and veggies on the same side of Richmond Rd as the entrance to Brook school was located? As I remember, it was close to where the entrance would have been.

Thanks

I do know about the Pheonix,Gill sends me an invite but still work part time for my sins so not able to attend the lunch time gathering.

No there was not a fruit & vegg shop next to the school.However opposite the school was a little sweet shop called Turners.

No there was not a fruit & vegg shop next to the school.However opposite the school was a little sweet shop called Turners.

My memory could play tricks on me but I seem to recall a small store near to where Ravenscroft Rd joins Richmond Rd but on the same side of the street as Brook school. This would have been early 50s. I remember one day lifting an apple from the store and being chased down the street by the storekeeper. What's the saying about confession being good for the soul.

Hi.

I use to live about half way down Ravenscroft road at number 35.My root to school was up the road to the junction of Richmond road,turn right past the shop on my right cross over the road through the school gates and up the drive.

You could be right the shop may have sold fruit and vegg.Sometimes on my way to school I would call in the shop and buy a Mars Bar,think it cost sixpence in those days.Do you remember Terry Wood,Alf Hales and David Cooper were they in your year at school?

I didn't go to Brook, Thorpe. I was just using it as a reference point since someone had mentioned a sweet store on Richmond Rd. But, I did live on the Stradbroke 51-62: Smelter Wood Way.

The mill was on Stradbroke Road when it was a track,before it linked up with Woodhouse.At that time woodhouse was nt the cosmopolitan cetre we know and love today.

My memory could play tricks on me but I seem to recall a small store near to where Ravenscroft Rd joins Richmond Rd but on the same side of the street as Brook school. This would have been early 50s. I remember one day lifting an apple from the store and being chased down the street by the storekeeper. What's the saying about confession being good for the soul.

On the same side as Brook just before the entrance there were cottages but also a new bungalow I just can't remember what was there before it. Or maybe someone in the cottages used to sell veg from their garden. Turners shop did sometimes sell fruit and veg but the wrong side of the road I know as I used to cross the road at break for my sweets there was also another little shop further down the road that sold sweets but then again on the opposite side to the school. I used to call there on my way to the Plaza.

On the same side as Brook just before the entrance there were cottages but also a new bungalow I just can't remember what was there before it. Or maybe someone in the cottages used to sell veg from their garden. Turners shop did sometimes sell fruit and veg but the wrong side of the road I know as I used to cross the road at break for my sweets there was also another little shop further down the road that sold sweets but then again on the opposite side to the school. I used to call there on my way to the Plaza.

I think my memory must be playing tricks on me. Must have been Turners shop where I pilfered the apple. cheers.