Old man on Fargate 12/4/11

12 MAY 2011 I was in town yesterday - walking round the corner of Fargate where Boots is when I saw a very slow walking man. He was of a big build, heavily slumped forwards with two walking sticks, his dark hair covered his face, tan mac and walked extremely slowly. He was propping himsef up against the wall of Boots as he dragged his legs along. Holding a very old and dirty bag in one hand.

Does anyone see this man regularly?

Before anyone says, 'why didn't you help him?'... What does one say? In what way could I, or anyone, have helped? Other than posibly a wheelchair.

I've not stopped thinking of him. Can't explain why, but I'm just intrigued to know if anyone knows anything about him? Where is he from and why was he alone?? I don't think he is homeless, despite looking unshaven and unwashed.

Edited by Miss M

sounds like a news story from the Star

Ooops! Mods -can you change the month in the title please? It was May!

I think this is the same guy that lives in Crookes. He is out and about shopping every day from very early and sometimes gets on the 52 into town.

I feel sorry for him but I've been told he's vey independent and doesn't want/need any help. I don't think he's that old actually - it's just his appearance that gives this impression. He walks very slowly and his bag is always crammed full of food and weighs very heavily - I know cos I once carried it for him!

I guess he lives alone and good for him that he is still managing tho' I do worry when I see him.

hi sancocho10,

I've never seen him before despite me being in town almost everyday. For people reading this thread I think the term "walks very slowly" is an understatement. It must take him hours to walk a few yards!

I could just imagine him being very independant and I'm sure if a young woman asked if he'd like any help he'd have told me to shove off. I can just imagine the youths in town heckling him or taking the proverbial. If it is the case then it is such a shame that he has to balance his independance with harrassment.

hi sancocho10,

I've never seen him before despite me being in town almost everyday. For people reading this thread I think the term "walks very slowly" is an understatement. It must take him hours to walk a few yards!

I could just imagine him being very independant and I'm sure if a young woman asked if he'd like any help he'd have told me to shove off. I can just imagine the youths in town heckling him or taking the proverbial. If it is the case then it is such a shame that he has to balance his independance with harrassment.

Hi Miss M - glad I'm not the only softy! People in Crookes are kind to him anyway. I've seen others taking his bag and a local shopkeeper who takes his stuff up to his house. I just wonder what he does in bad weather? I feel the same as you and hope the young hoodlums don't hassle him.