Sanderson Bros. and Newbould/Sanderson Kayser

my dad worked there for many years as a lorry driver and after having a hip replacement in the 70's he became a fork lift driver don't know what department though his name was Philip Shackleton sadly passed away in 1989

Pete Thompson I guess.

Can't believe it's been that long since I was on here but your guess is correct Ron.

any one rememeber keith frost ????

I used to work with a Keith Frost at Swift Levicks from 1960

I started there in 1992 as a trainee metallurgist. Roy Lambourne interviewed me and put the fear of god in to me. As a smart 16 year old lad, it brought me down to earth.

I can remember:

Cliff French, Bob Goddard, Pete Thompson, Val (technical office), Mike Rooney, Jane Fox, Jane's Mother in law, Tracey Barnes?, Alan Fitzjohn, Ron Cookson, Ron Fletcher, Les Fife, Keith Tazzyman, Ernest Rogers, Bob Goldsmith and his lad all at Newhall Road. then I worked at Darnall Road until 96 when it went kaput.

I remember, Arnold Howe, Don Mills, Lol (old metallurgist and part of the furniture), Phil Whybrow, Phil Kenning, Terry the Technical Director, Phil Jolly, Phil Hilbert, Scott Gould, Mick Gregory, Christine and Keeley in the office.

Too many to mention but not one bad one among them.

I still have the winners trophy for the 1993 Interdepartmental Football.

Worked in the chemi lab with Don Mills up to 1970, do you still have any contact, photos? Thanks, Mike

---------- Post added 13-09-2017 at 23:10 ----------

I am trying to collect information and photos on Sandersons (Darnal) from the crucible days to its closure.

I worked there and my great grandfather was Steel Manager who died at the gate house in 1893.

Interested in the history and often visit but after 50 years I dont remember a lot. I do remember the great meals in the canteen.

It seems photographs are a bit rare?

I have one of the 5 ton hammer team.

mike

Sure do, I worked with them along with Charlie Holland and Brian Dempsey.Played at football for them alongside Tommy Taylor,Ronnie Gleeson,J.B.Mallander,Danny Davies and a few more.

pete and Michael Roberts worked there pete played in the footie team

Im pretty sure my granddad worked here , Horace ledger but was probably known as Mick

pete and Michael Roberts worked there pete played in the footie team

Did Michael and Peter Roberts come from Darnall?

Did Michael and Peter Roberts come from Darnall?
they lived off shirland lane which I think would be Attercliffe

Hello all,

I'm just working on a mural on the former Sanderson Brothers and Newbould works (Newhall Road, Attercliffe). Its really to celebrate the history of the company and also re-instate the war memorial plaques that are currently in storage.

Does anyone have any stories, memories or facts that they can share?

Theres some incredible history attached to the building and the people who worked there:

The sword of Stalingrad was forged there.

It was the second largest manufacturer of bayonets in the UK.

It produced cavalry officers swords for both great wars.

It set up its own sister company in America (to get around trade restrictions).

It had its own dedicated steam train service using existing lines in the area.

I'd be very grateful if anyone had any gems of information or stories that they could kindly share...I really want the people working there now to appreciate what happened on that important site.

Many thanks!

started at kasers carlisle st apprentice joiner in 1963 stopped us thupence a week for meals canteen up hill lovelygrub lovely firm