Sanderson Bros. and Newbould/Sanderson Kayser

Do you remember 'Fred' in the stores, he used to say"footin" instead of you know what?

And also Eric Rodgers who was a commosionere on No.1 gate? I met Eric a couple of years later when we both worked for Sheffield Transport.

Yes, I do remember Fred Porteous too. I can't bring to mind Eric Rodgers though.

My uncle Jimmy Littlewood worked at Sandersons for many years.I remember him still playing football for the firm in his 50's.

To add a tribute to Sanderson and Newbould, as a joiner about 50 yrs go l bought a PAX handsaw, and l treasured that saw. I came to live in France and it was stolen among other favourite tools l nearly cried. Arfer Mo

I started there in 1992 as a trainee metallurgist. Roy Lambourne interviewed me and put the fear of god in to me. As a smart 16 year old lad, it brought me down to earth.

I can remember:

Cliff French, Bob Goddard, Pete Thompson, Val (technical office), Mike Rooney, Jane Fox, Jane's Mother in law, Tracey Barnes?, Alan Fitzjohn, Ron Cookson, Ron Fletcher, Les Fife, Keith Tazzyman, Ernest Rogers, Bob Goldsmith and his lad all at Newhall Road. then I worked at Darnall Road until 96 when it went kaput.

I remember, Arnold Howe, Don Mills, Lol (old metallurgist and part of the furniture), Phil Whybrow, Phil Kenning, Terry the Technical Director, Phil Jolly, Phil Hilbert, Scott Gould, Mick Gregory, Christine and Keeley in the office.

Too many to mention but not one bad one among them.

I still have the winners trophy for the 1993 Interdepartmental Football.

My Dad started work at Sanderson Kayser straight from school. He would have been there late 50's to early 60's. His name was Les France. He sadly died back in 2002.

I remember Les very well he was a welder and a very good one too. He worked with a lad called Ernest Pashley who was his apprentice.I was an Electrician and Les did lots of welding for me.

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 15:45 ----------

Hi

Do these names ring a bell with anyone out there: Christine Hird (Goodrum)

Jackie Rastrick (father worked in Saw Dept)

Carol Metham, Ann Patchett, Roy Phoenix ( Soccer referee)

Brenda Froggatt.(Lamkin) All worked at Sandersons many moons ago and would love to hear from them.

I worked in the Electricians shop and Christine worked in our Drawing Office but I knew her before then, we both were in the Sheffields School Choir and we practised at Whitby Road Junior School with other kids from the area.

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 15:50 ----------

I remember Les very well he was a welder and a very good one too. He worked with a lad called Ernest Pashley who was his apprentice.I was an Electrician and Les did lots of welding for me.

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 15:45 ----------

I worked in the Electricians shop and Christine worked in our Drawing Office but I knew her before then, we both were in the Sheffields School Choir and we practised at Whitby Road Junior School with other kids from the area.

My Dad and brother also worked there both in the Steel Dept. My dad David was a chipper who ground out cracks and faults in the steel bars and slabs with a pneumatic drill. He would have been a godsend to these "Compo" firms as he was as deaf as a post as they say. My brother Roy re-lined ladles for casting and then he was an H-F Melter and he also played cricket for the works team.

I remember you Macstewart and your father. I was also an apprentice electrician at the same time. I've never seen any of the others since except for Cedric. I used to go to Tyzack sons & Turner where he worked to repair machines as a service engineer. Wonder what happened to Rodney H and the others.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 18:01 ----------

Yes, I do remember Fred Porteous too. I can't bring to mind Eric Rodgers though.

I could never forget Fred Porteous. When you went to the stores with a docket for screws etc he put his hand in the box and always pulled out the number of items stated on the docket without actually counting them! How he did this always amazed me.

I can remember when I was an apprentice electrician there that when the foreman Tommy Larks was on holiday, one of the mates called Morris used to bring worms from home in Chapeltown to use for fishing over the wall next to the M.K.D Department. We caught loads of stickle-backs and kept them in a large metal container inside the Test-House.

You would have been in trouble if Mr Roke found you.

I remember the devilment with fireworks around November 5th. Whilst Tommy Larks was giving us telling off about it there was a dried milk tin gas bomb burning on the floor behind him.

Fortunately he was back in his office before it went BANG.

Do you remember Jimmy Hore who was as blind as a bat filling in his betting slips with the paper about 3 inches from his eyes. I asked him why he did not get glasses. He said "They will spoil my looks" He looked about 70 to my young eyes

Jimmys eyesight was bad there was a story earlier about him whitewashing someones cellar walls and spent a long time doing a particular part of the wall and when asked why said he couldn't get this dark patch out which turned out to be his own shadow. Truth or myth who knows which now but he was a brilliant bloke.

My Dad started work at Sanderson Kayser straight from school. He would have been there late 50's to early 60's. His name was Les France. He sadly died back in 2002.

I remember Les he was the welder in the Engineers Shop,he was always a very nice bloke and many welding jobs for the electricians of which i was.