Man waits 21 years for council house. Why?

And when are you going to hand it back? Presumably when Jesus wants you for a sunbeam. Because for all intents and purposes you regard it as "yours".It doesn't belong to you

I think she means that collectively we all own social housing, because government are just our representatives.

Of course PT wouldn't own a full house if we were to work it out, there are 60 million people in the country and less council houses than that.

I think she means that collectively we all own social housing, because government are just our representatives.

Of course PT wouldn't own a full house if we were to work it out, there are 60 million people in the country and less council houses than that.

Snidely bringing strawmen arguments about coal boards and gas companies into the debate doesn't alter the fact that renting a property makes it "hers". Renting by its very definition isn't ownership

Hes right though.

Throwing unrelated arguments into the mix dunt change that fact.

Its not yours.

its not his house but its his home for life if he wishes :P

so why not cater it to his own needs the next generation might not be able to do this :mad:http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/aug/03/lifetime-council-tenancies-contracts-cameron

Edited by quicken

i was on the council waiting list from the age of 16 i am now 39 and still can't get a council house i keep trying but nothing..... Looks like they do anything to keep people happy who are not even from this cuntry and give them the houses just to make the council look good....

I fervently hope that any new council housing built in this area carries a clause in the lettings agreement to say they aren't included in the RTB. Otherwise, a few years down the line, they'll all be gone too.

I agree that all new council housing being built should have that clause but the fact is very few new council homes have been built.

The problem of the lack of council homes has been compounded by the fact that a Labour lead council has destroyed thousands of properties in Sheffield that could have been upgraded. In Norfolk Park alone 15 high rise blocks with around 1890 2 bed flats were knocked or blown down when they could have been upgraded and refurbished. Regeneration money was wasted and also filtered off into other schemes resulting in it running out very quickly. This is after the many thousands spent on security and the CHP pipeline being put in place to heat the high rise flats.

Some properties such as the many maisonettes were structurally unsound and had to be knocked down and the only properties to be refurbished were the Vic Hallam houses. What happened afterwards was that land had to be given away to encourage a few hundred private new-builds and no new council homes were built.

Its all well and good blaming the RTB for the lack of council homes but Sheffield council has knocked down and failed to replace many more than has been bought.

Some information about the Norfolk Park fiasco:

http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/matshef/abram/MSabram.htm#npe

The people of Arbourthorne are now seeing a similar thing with homes being demolished, money suddenly running out and everything being put on hold. No doubt that when these homes are demolished we will see yet again that no new council homes are being built.

Just days after the Panorama special about some Sheffield scoungers demanding bigger council houses we have this story form The Star about a man who's waited 21 years for a council house.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield_dad_in_21_year_wait_for_a_home_1_3372526

Am I missing something here? Both he and his partner work so why don't they do what the rest of us do, save up some money for a mortgage deposit and buy their own house? Surely council properties are only for those in genuine need rather than a lifestyle choice for people who don't have the initiative to buy a home of their own?

They also whine that their flat isn't big enough for them yet they only have one child and it's a two bedroom flat.

What's wrong with Sheffield people these days? Do they expect the Council to do everything but wipe their backsides for them?

Why not just rent somewhere then?

In conclusion the council house system was a brilliant idea spoilt by That awful woman Thatcher and her gang of con merchants who succeeded in destroying the working man and women's traditional life style that had been so hard fought Far

why do people slag maggie thatcher off she was the only PM to enable working class people who wanted to better themself and at the same time get a great bargain and in doing so helped thousands of people in this country NEVER LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH your labour goverment would never do any thing as good as RTB they only waste our money and get us all in dept

why do people slag maggie thatcher off she was the only PM to enable working class people who wanted to better themself and at the same time get a great bargain and in doing so helped thousands of people in this country NEVER LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH your labour goverment would never do any thing as good as RTB they only waste our money and get us all in dept

What so people that buy are better than those that rent :huh::confused:

What so people that buy are better than those that rent :huh::confused:

i did not imply that they were better people simply they got a good bargain of which any one could have the way they were better off was not having to pay rent for the house for the rest of there life and having nothing to show at the end of it

When will that be Cuttsie mate? and when was the last one? Was it those great working class heroes, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Peter Mandelson, etc., or will it be those council house lads and lasses Ed Milliband, Harriet Harmon, etc.??

Who really represents the average working man and woman of the country now?

Wilson was just about the last real labour man the others you mention are just Tories in disguise , What this country needs is for working people to realise that they have been conned by the so called ruling classes .we have been thrown a few scraps and fell for the three card trick.

A bit of light hearted fun on telly tonight BBC2 6.45pm.

I agree that all new council housing being built should have that clause but the fact is very few new council homes have been built.

The problem of the lack of council homes has been compounded by the fact that a Labour lead council has destroyed thousands of properties in Sheffield that could have been upgraded. In Norfolk Park alone 15 high rise blocks with around 1890 2 bed flats were knocked or blown down when they could have been upgraded and refurbished. Regeneration money was wasted and also filtered off into other schemes resulting in it running out very quickly. This is after the many thousands spent on security and the CHP pipeline being put in place to heat the high rise flats.

Some properties such as the many maisonettes were structurally unsound and had to be knocked down and the only properties to be refurbished were the Vic Hallam houses. What happened afterwards was that land had to be given away to encourage a few hundred private new-builds and no new council homes were built.

Its all well and good blaming the RTB for the lack of council homes but Sheffield council has knocked down and failed to replace many more than has been bought.

Some information about the Norfolk Park fiasco:

http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/matshef/abram/MSabram.htm#npe

The people of Arbourthorne are now seeing a similar thing with homes being demolished, money suddenly running out and everything being put on hold. No doubt that when these homes are demolished we will see yet again that no new council homes are being built.

Bang on me owd China!

i did not imply that they were better people simply they got a good bargain of which any one could have the way they were better off was not having to pay rent for the house for the rest of there life and having nothing to show at the end of it

surprising how many do .