Reusable Nappies

Is anyone using reusable nappies? I'm wanting to give them a try but have no idea where to start - there's so many to choose from and I have no idea how to actually use them. Any advice?

I use reusables on both my kids. I have shaped two piece versions. First of all I put in a paper liner (I used to use fleece liners and wash them as well, but I prefer the paper as I can throw them in the bin/loo with all the poo stuck to them). Then I use a cotton tot bots, which is the absorbent bit. It goes on just like a normal nappy and closes with velcro. Then on top of that I use a Motherease wrap. These are waterproof bits that stop the wet getting out. I have both popper and velcro versions.

I chose these as I felt they were the easiest for us all to use. But if I'm going out for a while and I night time, I still use disposables. As I found carrying lots of wet cotton nappies around a bit of a nightmare when there is a more than one.

I dry pail my nappies, which means I just put them straight into a bucket without any water. I keep this in the bathroom, so it doesn't smell the bedroom out. I have a net in the bucket, so when it comes to wash time I just transfer them in the net into the washing machine. I leave the net open so that nappies fall out. I wash both the cotton nappies and the outers in the same wash and along with the washable wipes. I also use washable wipes and just use plain water to wipe my daughters bottom with the washable wipes. I find them much easier to use than bought wipes. Although I do use the bought wipes when out and about to make my life easier.

I wash them on a cotton 60 program. I add 4 drops of pure tree tea oil, as it's antibacterial, straight in the main washing bit, I usually put the drops on to the net bag. I add only a bit of detergent in the draw, no softener and then hang them out to dry. You can tumble dry them, but it's not recommended as they shortened their life span. If you hang them out in the sun, it helps get rid of any lasting stains, I also give them a good shake so they soften as they are very hard when dried on the line. Every so often, I give them an extra wash without any detergent to get rid of any suds stored in the nappies, as a build up can cause my daughter's bottom to flare up.

Now my daughter is weaning, I do find that she gets nappy rash more. But that's more because I cannot smell when she has done a poo and she may have been sitting in it longer than her bottom can cope with. You do need to change more often than with bought nappies, but the cost it has saved me is really good.

This is a bit cheeky, but I do have the first size of nappies I used for sale and would make a great starter set. You can see them on my link below in my signature.

Hope the above has been helpful.

Edited by doodle

thank you for such a comprehensive answer! i'm due in 5 weeks so will see how i get on, planning on using disposable nappies to start with but i will definitely be back in touch if i do decide to give reusables a go. thanks again.

I wanted to take this route, but a very sick pregnancy meant there were lots of things I didn't do :(

I've just received a batch of square terry nappies from a friend, along with a couple of expanding size plastic popper ones, and the waterproof covers for them, as I suspect that they may be useful now H is showing signs of it being possible to potty train. It's been said that disposables keep them so dry that there is no incentive to potty train. I also suspect that it may be easier for me to discover her toileting routine if she gets wet, whereas in disposables I have no idea when she wees

The Real Nappy Network do talks and demos on a number of different brands so you can have a proper look before you buy, and there's a place in Leeds that does trial packs which you wash and send back before making your purchase

It's been said that disposables keep them so dry that there is no incentive to potty train. I also suspect that it may be easier for me to discover her toileting routine if she gets wet, whereas in disposables I have no idea when she wees

From my experience this isn't true. My first daughter developed thrush from a bad case of nappy rash at around 11 months. I stopped using cotton nappies with her, as I couldn't get rid of the nappy rash every time I used the nappies. I've since found out, that it was likely to have been the washing powder I used (Ecover) which is known for leaving a build up in the nappy and causing rashes. Hence the now regular rinses of the nappies.

So my first wasn't in cotton nappies around the time she potty trained and she trained at 2 years old and my friend's daughter took longer and she was using cotton nappies still. I really don't believe it makes a difference and think it's down to when your child is ready to make the leap.

I've been using the cotton nappies again with my second baby and I also struggle to tell when my daughter has soiled her nappy in the them. Where's I can tell in disposables as the nappy is warm and squidgy, whether it's a wee or poo. But in cotton ones they really don't change and they're not as smelly as they keep it more contained.

I also forgot to mention originally, that you could use just folded muslin's on a newborn baby instead of the cotton inners. As they are soft and less bulky. You would just need a waterproof outer. I didn't use cotton nappies straight away, as it's a lot of pressure at the beginning. I waited a few weeks till I was in a better mindset and then started with them. You have so much at the beginning to get used to, you don't want to put extra pressure on yourself that you don't need to.

I found the nappy lady to be a good source of information and gives you videos on how to use them, wash them etc.

We used Kooshies with our first and second daughters. They were lovely and soft and easy to wash and dry. I did find the first size was too big and bulky for new borns and did leak sometimes at night, so we compromised, using disposables until they were about 3 months old, then just in the daytime. They definetely save money as a dozen nappies went through two children and were still in good condition. I happily use cloth nappies for childminded children if parents prefer, no problem.

I use cloth nappies and they are not much extra work to clean and dry. I started using them after my son was 2 months old for the reasons that doodle said. It is alot of stuff to get used to with a new born, that cloth nappies may just add extra to your already swamped workload.

I recommend Tots Bots. If you're really wanting to save money go to a baby and toddler nearly new sale. In March I picked up my supply of re-usable nappies for £7 from the NCT nearly new sale and now have only bought one box of disposables since then. I have found my that my reusable nappies have never leaked so have not ever had to change my baby's clothes during the day.

Actually I'm surprised that there are not more second hand nappies for sale given that all babies grow out of them at some stage. Be interesting to see where they end up!

I have tried disposables during the day but they seem to leak poo more. I only use disposables during the night now. Just because they last in absorbancy more than re-usables and I'd rather get the sleep than getting up in the night to do changes.

Anyway hope that this helps. Holly6 good luck in 5 weeks and enjoy your little bundle of joy.

is it also worth mentioning then that many of the reusable brands have the optional extra of an extra absorbent liner?

Doodle - what type of material do you use for wipes - never thought of washable wipes -very good idea.

Cheers

Boots do baby flannels in a two pack, or you could use the mini muslin squares that I think I saw in John Lewis

We used Bambino Mio nappies with niecelet and nephewlet, although my nephew did wees so big that even the biggest size of absorbent insert was insufficient and he was in disposables by 5 months, even though they were fine with my niece right up to potty training.

As far as reusable wipes go, we just got a couple of big old towels and some old flannel sheets and cut them up and ran a simple hem around them with a machine- it only took 2 of us about an hour to make up 50 wipes, which were used all the way through for both children.

Doodle - what type of material do you use for wipes - never thought of washable wipes -very good idea.

Cheers

With my first I used a pack of flannels from ikea as they were cheap. This time I have bought some wipes from the nappy lady that are fleece on oneside and flannel on the other. I love them, as the flannel gets the poo off easily and the flannel is softer on the bott just for wees and getting the residual poo off. Although the flannels worked just as well for my daughter but I wanted something new for my second as I felt guilty everything was hand me downs! lol.