National Grid Gas Meter Exchange Programme

Hi SF,

I recieved a letter today,

The gas meter in your property has been identified as being of an age that is coming to the end of its useful life. It is essential that the meter be exchanged. This work will not change your current gas supplier and all agreements between you and your gas supplier remain in place.

There is no charge for this work, which takes approximately 30 minutes. Please note access to your property is required to complete this work even if your gas meter is located outside.

A number of companies undertake this work on our behalf. Should you wish to confirm the identity of the engineer who calls please telephone the number given on the back of the identity card that all engineers carry.

I thank you in anticipation of assisting us to complete this necessary work. If the planned date above is not convenient then you can arrange an alternative appointment via the internet on http://www.nationalgrid.com/metering or alternatively please contact us on 0845 606 6766.

Yours Faithfully

Delivery manager

Anyone else had a similar letter, or had the work carried out before? Im not sure if I want to let them in, they may end up changing it only to find a fault which wasnt there before but I have to pay to put right.

Ages ago, it took around half an hour to replace the meter

Ages ago, it took around half an hour to replace the meter

Us too..last year sometime I think..

Hi - I work at National Grid and spotted this post. I chased this up with my colleague Mark Balmega in National Grid Metering and he sent this response:

I am responsible for Operational Delivery for for National Grid Metering. I have read your forum post and I would just like to respond in an attempt to clarify some of your concerns. Each year, National Grid carries out an extensive policy meter replacement programme of around 100,000 meters across Britain. This is called the Policy Meter Exchange programme and National Grid has an obligation to do this. This is so that National Grid can ensure the meters are operating safely and accurately.

Policy Meter Exchange (PME) Obligation

National Grid's licence to operate includes an obligation for meter installations to be periodically checked for safety and accuracy. Once identified, meters requiring "policy" maintenance are usually exchanged for a newer model and this has been approved by the Gas Regulator, Ofgem. It is not our intention to cause our customers inconvenience.

There is no charge for any work carried out under the programme. However, National Grid has a responsibility to notify end consumers of any potential safety issues that may be identified during the meter exchange.

If you require any further information relating to this matter, please do not hesitate to contact National Grid on 0845 606 6766.

Hope that is helpful.

We had ours done a couple of years back, no hassle at all, all quite straightforward.