I recently ordered items from the US, excessive cost!

Topic.

Ordered 2 bottles of JR's original BBQ sauce from WWEShop.com a couple of weeks back, it was finally delivered yesterday, but it has cost me $36.07 in total! Which converted on http://www.xe.com at today's exchange rate works out £21.86! Eh? I worked it out on xe.com the day I ordered the stuff and with delivery, 2 bottles of sauce only came to about £8.93 ($13)!

I only ordered it cos I'm a lifelong WWE fan (and no, I am NOT gay), and fancied trying some of JR's BBQ sauce! I won't be ordering any more that is a cert! :rant:

Has anyone else been stumped like this for ordering anything from the US?

Its even worse when you've paid that much and then you get a nice big customs charge on top

i always thought you could spend 25 before customs wanted anything or is it lower than that now

Did you not get warned of it before you placed the order Rich?

maybe customs searched the package

that could explain the high charge

Topic.

Ordered 2 bottles of JR's original BBQ sauce from WWEShop.com a couple of weeks back, it was finally delivered yesterday, but it has cost me $36.07 in total! Which converted on http://www.xe.com at today's exchange rate works out £21.86! Eh? I worked it out on xe.com the day I ordered the stuff and with delivery, 2 bottles of sauce only came to about £8.93 ($13)!

I only ordered it cos I'm a lifelong WWE fan (and no, I am NOT gay), and fancied trying some of JR's BBQ sauce! I won't be ordering any more that is a cert! :rant:

Has anyone else been stumped like this for ordering anything from the US?

A bottle of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, the best there is, costs me about $ 2.80 at my local market. I can get Kraft for $ 1.90

Are you saying you recieved a bill after getting your purchase?

Did you not pay for the item before delivery?

The site says they ship overseas by DHL - I don't think that's an inexpensive option. Are you sure you double-checked the shipping cost?

As your order, excluding shipping, was less than £18, the price you paid should be just goods+postage.

Nothing wrong with the WWE but I preferred it when it was the WWF. I loved seeing The Rock wrestle an endagered Panda.

Rich.

Can you give us a breakdown of how and who charged you the full $36.07?

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters. See paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P26_2855

Did it not occur to you that 13 dollars might not include delivery?

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek