Graffiti artist's 4 years for painting train!

Crime is crime, obviously the judge was making an example. This type of vandalism is not art. If the train needing painting, surly the train owners would have done? If they wanted to paint on a train, why didn't they make sure it belonged to them?

Alright he did wrong thing but to give him 4 years is appalling. Muggers walk away scot free if they get right lawyer, plead they come from broken home or are drug addicts. Give him community service cleaning trains fair enough but lets have a bit of common sense:love:

Just "tagging" on to an old thread.

Reported in The Star that 6 people have escaped jail sentences for graffiti on trains.

What surprised me was that they are all in their mid thirties and early forties.i wonder how long they have been at it as I can't believe this is a hobby that you take up when you pack in football or whatever.

Very strange.

Sheffield has a lot of street art done by Phlegm....I love to see it....really good stuff....I reckon it's as good, if not better than Banksy. :D

That is permitted street art which is great I agree but different to the subject of this thread.

Community work cleaning the stuff off the walls surely makes most sense - they're going to pay someone to do that anyway.

Reported in The Star that 6 people have escaped jail sentences for graffiti on trains.

What surprised me was that they are all in their mid thirties and early forties.i wonder how long they have been at it as I can't believe this is a hobby that you take up when you pack in football or whatever.

Very strange.

I appreciate art/artists, in fact I like to create art myself but I don't condone people just doing it anywhere and everywhere without permission.

Very strange.

There are a lot of them in and around Sheffield who have been doing it since the 80's, the above mentioned Fista is one of them I believe.

The person to whom thes thread is about will be out of jail now. With any luck. 4 years is a ridiculously short sentence.

The person to whom thes thread is about will be out of jail now. With any luck. 4 years is a ridiculously short sentence.

Well this thread is from 2011. BUT http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-graffiti-vandal-fista-jailed-1-6802219

Edit: sorry the thread wasn't originally about him - but he has had a similar I think 4 or 5 years sentence in the past

I've noticed an upsurge of terrible graffiti around the St Mary's road area, what was a lovely stone wall just yards from the Church has been covered in horrible graffiti, just across the road a door has also been covered. For the length of time it takes to spoil these areas, surely someone must see the idiots that do it.

Do you have no understanding of sentencing? Do you know how much it costs to keep people in jail? Vandalism is a pretty minor offence. I certainly don't want my tax payer money being spent on locking up every person who scrawls on a wall when they were a bit drunk.

Do you have no understanding of sentencing? Do you know how much it costs to keep people in jail? Vandalism is a pretty minor offence. I certainly don't want my tax payer money being spent on locking up every person who scrawls on a wall when they were a bit drunk.

Seems like the people who carry out sentencing have little understanding.

The original post from 4 years ago reported a 4 year sentence.

The resurrected post refers to a recent offence,involving aging graffiti merchants who escaped a custodial sentence.

My surprise was at their ages.I thought it was a retarded teenager thing.

I've noticed an upsurge of terrible graffiti around the St Mary's road area, what was a lovely stone wall just yards from the Church has been covered in horrible graffiti, just across the road a door has also been covered. For the length of time it takes to spoil these areas, surely someone must see the idiots that do it.

Here's the answer;

Very strange.

The main thing that struck me when reading the article in the Star was the age of these blokes !!

Can't get my head round the fact that they would have been better showing some interest in knitting, collecting stamps, train spotting or painting white lines in the centre of a busy motorway !!!!

I have noticed also the ages of some blokes either fined or imprisoned for football related violence offences.

I'm 68 years old and my hobby is watching paint dry !