Graffiti artist's 4 years for painting train!

a lad I grew up with and went to school with in the North East went to prison in 2009. He's a cage fighter and a 'badman' in the area, had trouble with the law before, got into a street fight, he punched the victim (a father of 2) followed by a kick to the head, the guy died, he was sent to jail charged with manslaughter in 2009, out by the end of 2010. Now hes gettin on with his life still acting like a 'badman' expecting a child when he should be still rotting in a cell in my opinion.

so i think 4 years for graffiti on a train is a bit much

Did anyone els see the news a couple of days ago? 4 graffiti artists got caught painting a train in leeds and got 4 year. But theres people who do knife point crimes and other violent crimes who are only getting a couple of month. Is it just me or does that not add up? :huh:

Let's inject some facts into this OP. Is it these three convicts?

Vandals jailed for £250,000 Northern Railway Crime Spree

Yorkshire graffiti vandals who carried out a six-year £250,000 campaign against the railway have been jailed for eight months.

James Steward (27), Jack Rodgers (26) and Daniel Jay-Webster (25) appeared at York Crown Court yesterday, Tuesday, having pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit criminal damage.

The court heard Steward, Rodgers and Jay-Webster were part of a graffiti ‘crew’ called NKA and that, between January 2003 and February 2009, they had worked together to daub graffiti – using the ‘tags’ of OGRE, HACK and TWOK – on trains throughout the north of England from Liverpool, Crewe, Buxton and Wigan to Harrogate, Skipton, Leeds and Wakefield.

Investigations by British Transport Police also revealed that damage had also been caused to trains and property in London, Bristol, continental Europe and even the Far East and Australia.

PC Tony McGibbon, who investigated for BTP, said: “These three vandals, as part of a prolific graffiti crew, are jointly responsible for around £250,000 of damage that was caused to trains and stations across the country between 2003 and 2009.

“They cared little for the impact their wanton destruction would have others and were only interested in enhancing and furthering their own reputations amongst the graffiti vandal fraternity”.

“Some people argue that graffiti is art and not vandalism, but when the graffiti is written or sprayed, without permission, on private or public property then it loses any artistic credibility and becomes a criminal act.”

British Transport Police were fully alerted to the activities of the three vandals when five men were disturbed spraying graffiti on a train in Harrogate in February 2009.

Two managed to escape, but three – Rodgers, of Bramble Grove, Poole in Wharfedale, an Italian man and a Portuguese man – were arrested at the scene. Steward, of Mitchell Close, Simpson Green, and Jay-Webster, of Stanningley Road, Armley were found to have been involved in this offence and were arrested at a later date.

The subsequent investigation found evidence which linked Steward, Rodgers and Jay-Webster to their tags and the damage to the trains.

Officers also traced their activities back to 2003 which included offences against Northern Rail, First Transpennine Express, Merseyrail, Midland Mainline, Virgin Trains and London Underground.

PC McGibbon added: “This case should serve as a stark warning to others who get their kicks from destroying the property of others.

“BTP takes graffiti extremely seriously and officers will use any tactics at their disposal to trace offenders and bring them to justice.

“The sentence handed out also clearly demonstrates that the wider criminal justice system recognises the damage caused by graffiti vandals and will bring strict sanctions to bear against anyone found guilty of the offences.”

http://harrogate-news.co.uk/2011/05/04/vandals-jailed-for-250000-northern-railway-crime-spree/

sending these idiots to prison is not the answer , it costs around a grand a week to give these guys a place in the prison . they should be doing unpaid work instead . cleaning graffiti maybe ?

sending these idiots to prison is not the answer , it costs around a grand a week to give these guys a place in the prison . they should be doing unpaid work instead . cleaning graffiti maybe ?

That's just what I was thinking. Let them clean their own mess up - with a toothbrush!

Why should someone who commit a certain crime be freed jail because of cost of housing them??

I personally think they should pay a financial cost towards the clean up operation in the area they live in.

I can't knock "fista" I'm being paid quite nicely to compile a coffee table photo-book of pictures of his "work".:hihi:

If it's a decent job, interesting, quality work and a lot of graffitt art is, I'd be straight onto The Sheffield Star and other news rags, drumming up publicity for my new work of art, by playing the outraged owner of a vandalised vehicle.

me too!..............:)

agree! ................!

Why should someone who commit a certain crime be freed jail because of cost of housing them??

I personally think they should pay a financial cost towards the clean up operation in the area they live in.

maybe yes, but prison? nooo!

Good! and if they gave 4 years to every moron with a can(z) then Sheffield would look a hell of a lot nicer and Sheffield Council wouldn't have to spend a shed load of my taxes cleaning it up!

Why not give him 4 years clean up duty? Seems insane sending him to jail a how many thousands a week? Rather see him in an orange jump suite cleaning the vile stuff off Walls etc. Still at least he is being punished.

A couple of years ago some brain dead moron sprayed '3:42' on virtually every single surface from Lodge Moor, through Crosspool and through Crookes towards Hillsborough. There were literally hundreds of them causing not only thousands of pounds worth of destruction, but a complete lack of respect for other peoples property.

Many of these daubings are still there and there's lots of evidence where people have tried (in vain)to scrub it off their property (wooden fencing etc...) Certainly, in Crookes (where I live), it's still on shopkeepers roll down shutters, GPO boxes etc.

The person who did this certainly doesn't deserve a 4 year jail sentence in my opinion. He should be tied down, prostrate on a table and have paint aerosols inserted into every orifice which would then be activated until he becomes an 'ex vandal'. failing that, tattooing '3:42' over his body with a hydraulic road digger.

Harsh but fair , I think!

A couple of years ago some brain dead moron sprayed '3:42' on virtually every single surface from Lodge Moor, through Crosspool and through Crookes towards Hillsborough. There were literally hundreds of them causing not only thousands of pounds worth of destruction, but a complete lack of respect for other peoples property.

Many of these daubings are still there and there's lots of evidence where people have tried (in vain)to scrub it off their property (wooden fencing etc...) Certainly, in Crookes (where I live), it's still on shopkeepers roll down shutters, GPO boxes etc.

The person who did this certainly doesn't deserve a 4 year jail sentence in my opinion. He should be tied down, prostrate on a table and have paint aerosols inserted into every orifice which would then be activated until he becomes an 'ex vandal'. failing that, tattooing '3:42' over his body with a hydraulic road digger.

Harsh but fair , I think!

:banana::banana: love it!

Did anyone els see the news a couple of days ago? 4 graffiti artists got caught painting a train in leeds and got 4 year. But theres people who do knife point crimes and other violent crimes who are only getting a couple of month. Is it just me or does that not add up? :huh:

Bit harsh when they only cost £25

http://www.sawitfirst.co.uk/content/graffiti_train_suck