First Aid course 80% of the population

If first aid courses were offered for free I would attend.

When responding to a call for a suspected heart attack our ambulance service go with a 5% chance of survival. In America they go with a 40% chance.

That’s down to the numbers of available Automated Defibulators and trained people to use them.

Utter garbage

I did say "When responding to a call for heart attack"

Still utter garbage

So, i assume you have done a first aid course? What would your treatment be if Joe Public had a heart attack in front of you in the pub/post office/massage parlour?

You all seem to be confusing a heart attack with a cardiac arrest. If it is a cardiac arrest and an AED is not available then survival is approx 5%.

While you are out in a car you are more likely to see or be involved in an accident

Surely you are more likely to see an accident if you are out walking and not in a car, as you are more likely to be out on the street for longer.

You all seem to be confusing a heart attack with a cardiac arrest. If it is a cardiac arrest and an AED is not available then survival is approx 5%.

Thank you!

You've got a much higher chance of surviving a heart attack.

Cardiac arrest on the other hand...if you don't get a timely electric shock then you're screwed.

No real training is needed to apply the shock-box, it's recognising that someone doesn't have a pulse and knowing what to do about it, that is the real lifesaving bit.

Edited by AGB1

There is a campaign by the heart foundation to get first aid on the school curriculum. The powers that be say it will be too expensive

I agree that you should do a course for your driving test, you do in other countries

I am in total agreement with first aid being part of the cirruculum.

I learned my first aid skills both in a civilian and military capacity. Fortunately, I have only had to use those skills the once, when I tended to an elderly lady who fell in the snow. It enabled me to take control of a situation in which I, without those skills, would have probably been incapable of helping.

While you are out in a car you are more likely to see or be involved in an accident

Doesn't mean you can stop easily though for one....

The three times I've needed to use my first aid knowledge (one heart attack, one RTA and a stabbing) I've been a pedestrian for all of them.

The current figures released by the resuscitation council confirm the numbers on survival rates.

CPR can give you more time, from 6 – 8 mins to 8 – 12 mins with luck a paramedic or first responder will be there by then to administer a shock and drugs.

Although CPR is not difficult you should have training to perform it correctly. AED machines will tell you what to do but if you don’t know CPR protocol it can be difficult.

The question was what puts people off doing a first aid course?

The question was what puts people off doing a first aid course?

Do you run first aid courses?

Don’t deliver first aid courses yet. Might do in the future

I was just wondering why so many people are put off doing a first aid course and this being a discussion board I thought I would ask.