First Aid course 80% of the population

If you are one of the 80% of the population that have no formal first aid knowledge would you say why?

What is it about doing a course that you don’t like?

What would tempt you to do one?

I've got military first aid training so I don't count but I reckon the answer to:

What would tempt you to do one?

In Sheffield, would be something along the lines of £.

You can get good first aid courses at a reasonable price.

For some reason people just don’t want to do a course.

When responding to a call for a suspected heart attack our ambulance service go with a 5% chance of survival. In America they go with a 40% chance.

That’s down to the numbers of available Automated Defibulators and trained people to use them.

I think that doing a first aid course should be part of the qualifications needed to pass your driving test.

I think that doing a first aid course should be part of the qualifications needed to pass your driving test.

I'd go along with that, although that would mean that I would be unable to continue driving because I cannot pass a first aid course now because of my gammy arm and it would probably mean that no drivers with disabilities could pass their driving test either.

I used to be a qualified first aider for work and have done animal first aid stuff too, but now I can't do chest compressions properly with only one arm I wouldn't qualify to pass the course.

There is a campaign by the heart foundation to get first aid on the school curriculum. The powers that be say it will be too expensive

I agree that you should do a course for your driving test, you do in other countries

Medusa you could still pass a first aid course. CPR starts with a phone call and then goes onto CPR which can be done with one arm. You could also tell someone else who is on the scene how to do CPR

Why? It has nothing directly to do with driving. If that's the case you might as well have to do a first aid test for walking out of the house as you could trip over a pothole in the pavement.

Why? It has nothing directly to do with driving. If that's the case you might as well have to do a first aid test for walking out of the house as you could trip over a pothole in the pavement.

But you are far more likely to require first aid skills whilst out on the roads than if you are walking out of the house.:rolleyes:

Caring for fellow human beings is to be commended and encouraged not ridiculed - I am sure that you would be grateful for the skills of a first aider if you needed one.

While you are out in a car you are more likely to see or be involved in an accident

Seriously? I would have thought that a majority turned out to be nothing heart related, or not serious.

I did say "When responding to a call for heart attack"

Medusa you could still pass a first aid course. CPR starts with a phone call and then goes onto CPR which can be done with one arm. You could also tell someone else who is on the scene how to do CPR

Agreed. The test could incorporate special needs. In the case of Medusa the fact alone she is capable of driving indicates she's capable of First aid to a degree, directly or indirectly.