Speeding, should bike riders get less points than car drivers ?

Here`s an interesting one, more for the principle than anything else.

Now, don`t get me wrong, I don`t think anyone should exceed the speed limit, speeding is dangerous, and the faster the vehicle is going the more likely it is that someone will get seriously injured or killed. This is why drivers and riders are prosecuted for speeding, obviously.

However, a bike rider speeding is more likely to kill himself than anyone else, so how come he (or she) gets the same points for speeding as a car driver ?

In the other direction if that speeding prat in the big four wheel drive hits you he`s far more likely to kill you than a smaller car (and this is one of the main reasons I don`t like four wheel drives). So surely said four wheel drive should get more points for speeding !

Food for thought ?

No.

Our kid rides a bike. Like many other bikes it weighs in excess of 200kgs. If he was to hit a child crossing the road who has misjudged how long she had because of his excessive, speed he is just as likely to kill her as a car. Also speeding is endemic amongst bikers already. To take away some of the deterrent is a backward step.

Now, don`t get me wrong, I don`t think anyone should exceed the speed limit, speeding is dangerous, and the faster the vehicle is going the more likely it is that someone will get seriously injured or killed. This is why drivers and riders are prosecuted for speeding, obviously.

However, a bike rider speeding is more likely to kill himself than anyone else, so how come he (or she) gets the same points for speeding as a car driver ?

In the other direction if that speeding prat in the big four wheel drive hits you he`s far more likely to kill you than a smaller car (and this is one of the main reasons I don`t like four wheel drives). So surely said four wheel drive should get more points for speeding !

Food for thought ?

Cars brake on four wheels, having been a motorcyclist albeit when roads were not congested as they are today, I've had some scary moments trying to stop from speed bearing in mind that the front wheel does most of the braking it's a nightmare. Motor bikes can cause other problems by swerving to avoid things noing full well if they braked they would probably have fallen off.

Hitting anyone at 30+ has a good chance of killing anyone.

No.

Our kid rides a bike. Like many other bikes it weighs in excess of 200kgs. If he was to hit a child crossing the road who has misjudged how long she had because of his excessive, speed he is just as likely to kill her as a car. Also speeding is endemic amongst bikers already. To take away some of the deterrent is a backward step.

Absolutely not. I am a biker and I expect to be treated no differently by the police than other road users. That means not banning bikers from roads like the A6, as one judge suggested. I have no sympathy with riders/drivers who speed if you can't take the time, and cost, and points on your licence, and increase on your insurance don't <removed> speed! It really is that simple. As to the argument bikers speed more than cars, have you been on the motorway recently? I was cruising at around 70 and was overtaken by just about everything bar Wagons. I also ride a sidecar outfit pulled by a little 350cc and I've been overtaken on double white lines, blind bends, in the face of oncoming traffic, it seems nobody these days has any patience, they all seem to have the 'get out of MY way' attitude.

"As to the argument bikers speed more than cars, have you been on the motorway recently?"

Fair enough, I was a bit unfair to lump them all together. What I meant was, that in my experience, speeding is endemic with some types of bikers. (((sweeping statement alert!))) Whenever I see a biker riding like an idiot, popping wheelies in 30mph zones or massively over the limit, it is invariably one with the one piece leathers in matching team colours of the bike, and look like they have just ridden off a track and onto the public road.

It's rarely some commuter on a 125 with a hi vis vest on.

"it seems nobody these days has any patience, they all seem to have the 'get out of MY way' attitude."

+1 to that.

in my experience, speeding is endemic with some types of bikers. (((sweeping statement alert!))) Whenever I see a biker riding like an idiot, popping wheelies in 30mph zones or massively over the limit, it is invariably one with the one piece leathers in matching team colours of the bike, and look like they have just ridden off a track and onto the public road.

My observations too. You occasionally see a more mature rider on a larger, older bike driving sensibly.

And those deaths and dents in the walls on the Cat and Fiddle and Snake Pass aren't caused by cars.

"As to the argument bikers speed more than cars, have you been on the motorway recently?"

Fair enough, I was a bit unfair to lump them all together. What I meant was, that in my experience, speeding is endemic with some types of bikers. (((sweeping statement alert!))) Whenever I see a biker riding like an idiot, popping wheelies in 30mph zones or massively over the limit, it is invariably one with the one piece leathers in matching team colours of the bike, and look like they have just ridden off a track and onto the public road.

"it seems nobody these days has any patience, they all seem to have the 'get out of MY way' attitude."

+1 to that.

I think the problem is that bikers speed on A roads overtaking cars, and frequently me, at sometimes frightening speed. Cars tend to speed on dual carriageways and motorways, where the speed differences don't appear so great. Bikes accelerate VERY VERY fast they can go from 30 to 70 in a rediculously short period of time so bikes will sometimes sneak up on you unawares flash past you and disappear of into the distance, something cars, even very powerful ones struggle to do. Hence the impression of 'most' bikers speeding. I do have a powerful bike and sometimes I have exceeded the speed limit overtaking cars, especially where the car is driving eratically or has shown signs of 'trying to save electric' by not using indicators etc. Sometimes the less time you spend alongside the car the better and I can see how my 'sneaking' up on them and flashing past could be seen as 'yet another 'lunatic' biker but....

Maybe I`ve been unclear, I don`t condone anyone speeding, I`m simply pointing out that the bigger the vehicle, the more serious the consequences when an accident occurs. I`m sure some bike riders do kill other people (as opposed to themselves) in accidents, but I can`t imagine it`s that common. From my personal safety point of view I don`t fear bikes, the thing I really have against some of them is when their exhausts are far too loud (but I`ll try not to digress).

On the other hand cars, and especially large four wheel drives, are not something you want to have an accident with.....

Bikes speed far more than cars, certainly on A roads. The reason they don`t speed so much on motorways is it`s uncomfortable to be on a bike when it`s going that fast, esp for hours on end, unless it`s a touring bike. But the type of riders you get on them don`t tend to speed as much anyway.

PS I haven`t got a bike, not any more anyway. I loved my bike, but felt I had to sell it, or I`d end up playing wheelchair basketball.......

Edited by Justin Smith

Food for thought ?

mmm, let me try and think about this. If I step out into the road, and a speeding motorcyclist hits me while hes doing 70mph in a 40 zone, do you think that I might die??........ OF COURSE I WOULD!!!! It makes no difference what you are riding or driving. Its IMPACT that is the killer. Try and think about that, wont you.

Justin, I don't agree with your statement that the bigger the vehicle, the more serious the consequences. A bike going out of control on a motorway may still cause the lorry behind it to jackknife as the driver attempts to stop before running over said bike. A pile-up can then occur as other vehicles plough into the lorry at speed (be it legal speed or otherwise). All this because the biker was going too fast and lost control.

mmm, let me try and think about this. If I step out into the road, and a speeding motorcyclist hits me while hes doing 70mph in a 40 zone, do you think that I might die??........ OF COURSE I WOULD!!!! It makes no difference what you are riding or driving. Its IMPACT that is the killer. Try and think about that, wont you.

Well I don`t know about you, but if, whilst driving, I had the choice between being hit by :

A A motorbike

B A saloon car

C A big fourwheel drive

I`d pick the bike, followed by the car, and in last place, the big four wheel drive.

Not, if I may repeat myself, that I think anyone should be speeding anyway.

The fact is that whatever retards like the British Association of Drivers may say, the authorities don`t actually put much effort into stopping speeding. I think they should. Just as long as the speed limit is clear they can have as many speed cameras as they want, and hidden or movable ones would be better......

Edited by Justin Smith

Justin, I don't agree with your statement that the bigger the vehicle, the more serious the consequences. A bike going out of control on a motorway may still cause the lorry behind it to jackknife as the driver attempts to stop before running over said bike. A pile-up can then occur as other vehicles plough into the lorry at speed (be it legal speed or otherwise). All this because the biker was going too fast and lost control.

This is true.

But not all accidents are caused by that, probably a relatively small number.

But :

May I may repeat myself, that I don`t think anyone should be speeding anyway. The fact is that whatever retards like the British Association of Drivers may say, the authorities don`t actually put much effort into stopping speeding. I think they should. Just as long as the speed limit is clear they can have as many speed cameras as they want, and hidden or movable ones would be better......
Edited by Justin Smith