What books do you remember from childhood?

yogi bear and the beaver dam and james and the giant peach, lord of the rings

Another one for Enid Blyton - Secret 7, Famous 5, but especially The Secret Island. Was my absolute favourite!

I remember being read a book at school when I was about 8 or 9 called Truckers, by Terry Prachett and it was brilliant. Also the Iron Man by Roger Ellis. Oh and another called The Silver Sword, about three children during the war who make their way to Switzerland to be reunited with their parents. Gosh I must have only been about 6 when they read that one!

Another one for Enid Blyton - Secret 7, Famous 5, but especially The Secret Island. Was my absolute favourite!

I remember being read a book at school when I was about 8 or 9 called Truckers, by Terry Prachett and it was brilliant. Also the Iron Man by Roger Ellis. Oh and another called The Silver Sword, about three children during the war who make their way to Switzerland to be reunited with their parents. Gosh I must have only been about 6 when they read that one!

I had pretty much all the Enid Blyton secret seven/ famous five books. I also used to love her "School" series, "Mallory Towers" and "St Claires". I also enjoyed the "Adventure" series.

She wrote a series of books for slightly younger readers in the vein of the secret seven and famous five, called "The Five Find-Outers And Dog". (a year or two younger than the secret seven/ famous five books) which I loved to read.

I remember reading Enid Blyton as a kid. I remember saving up to buy a modernised version of her stories that had a little 'detective kit'. Found it online. :D

I read a lot of Roald Dahl aswell as a kid. I remember reading Matilda in under a week and I got a red angel (Church schools :rolleyes: ) stamped on it by a teacher.

I remember the "Little Red Riding Hood" and I watched the new movie a few days ago... All my childhood thoughts about the girl with the red hood have died... :D

A book about a kitten abandoned on Dartmoor called Abandoned! by GD Griffiths. It took me ages to read it because I couldn't stop crying, absolutely heartwrenching! It was written in such a matter of fact way. When the cat lost her kittens in a brushfire I came very close to putting the book down and never picking it up again. If anybody knows a book shop in Sheffield with a copy please pm me.

Wonder if The Fat Slags are still in it ? :hihi:

No - they are in Morrisons !

A book about a kitten abandoned on Dartmoor called Abandoned! by GD Griffiths. It took me ages to read it because I couldn't stop crying, absolutely heartwrenching! It was written in such a matter of fact way. When the cat lost her kittens in a brushfire I came very close to putting the book down and never picking it up again. If anybody knows a book shop in Sheffield with a copy please pm me.

It's on Amazon for the princely sum of 1p.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abandoned-G-D-Griffiths/dp/0426113675/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305023164&sr=1-1

Jonny Briggs & the Whitby Weekend

Emil & the Detectives

Green Eggs and Ham

The Sneetches (and Other Stories)

Yertle the Turtle (and Other Stories)

Horton Hatches the Egg

The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark

They're the books that stand out in my mind up to about the age of six.

From six to fourteen/fifteen I read mostly "factual" books and technical manuals (one I can particularly remember was an imported US workshop manual for a big block V8 Chevvy engine - a couple of years later I had the pleasure to work on one in a live, racing environment - brilliant fun).

Probably more than I care to remember but the ones that really stuck and were good to read would have been

Stig of the Dump.

The Hobbit.

The Laura Ingalls ones (Little house in the big woods, on the praire, by the banks of plum creek etc)

Chronicles of Narnia

The Railway Children

The Borribles trilogy (if you havent met these they are good adult books as well if a little simplistic)

There was also a series of books in schools that was supposed to develop reading. I think there were about seven or eight books in three volumes telling a story. All I can recall was it was about a young boy, and there were ghosts, and a key and a phantom bus or something. Would have been aimed at what were upper junior schools then, so I guess Y7 now. Any ideas on what it was called?