"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

Hello - Should women be more careful with what they wear to avoid being victimised? This link shows a new movement in N. America whereby the women are protesting at a comment by a Police Officer who advised them not to dress like "sluts" to avoid attacks.

Haven't the women missed the point in that the officer was trying to protect them? The women, rightly, state that the culprits of attacks should be the focus of police attention and not the victims. But if he'd said "don't walk down dark secluded streets late at night alone" wouldn't the principle be the same? To avoid the women being attacked?

Of course women should be able to wear what they want and the culprits are to blame but when their own personal safety is at stake are they being a little silly?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13320785

Im sure if he had used the word hookers' or even 'prostitutes they would be less offended :loopy: Idiots. Nobody can say anything these days without some sort of backlash

Is having to dress in a certain way to avoid being attacked the same as avoiding walking down dark alleys alone?

I don't think it is.

Women should be able to dress as they please, if someone is attacked blaming the victim is making an excuse for the attacker.

Hello - Should women be more careful with what they wear to avoid being victimised? This link shows a new movement in N. America whereby the women are protesting at a comment by a Police Officer who advised them not to dress like "sluts" to avoid attacks.

Haven't the women missed the point in that the officer was trying to protect them? The women, rightly, state that the culprits of attacks should be the focus of police attention and not the victims. But if he'd said "don't walk down dark secluded streets late at night alone" wouldn't the principle be the same? To avoid the women being attacked?

Of course women should be able to wear what they want and the culprits are to blame but when their own personal safety is at stake are they being a little silly?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13320785

Totally agree with you there. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

They are trying to reclaim the word 'slut' andmake it empowering. If anyone calls me a 'slut' they had better run. I did what my MOTHER told me and didn't dress like one, I kept my legs closed and I don't have a high count. I am not, and will never be a SLUT.

Edited by Scozzie

Is having to dress in a certain way to avoid being attacked the same as avoiding walking down dark alleys alone?

I don't think it is.

Women should be able to dress as they please, if someone is attacked blaming the victim is making an excuse for the attacker.

But if both encourage attack, they are the same?

This is always an issue that attracts polar opposite views and an accusation that someone who advises women to dress more modestly is saying it's their fault they are attacked. Someone is going to be attacked by this sicko - dressing a little more modestly makes it less likely that she will be the victim. This doesn't in any way make HER responsible for HIS behaviour.

I liken it to advising pedestrians to make sure they check carefully before crossing the road even at a crossing. Yes, it's a driver's fault if he goes through a red light and kills a pedestrian, but that doesn't mean there's nothing the pedestrian could have done to avoid being hit.

Tbh, I think once a rapist is out on the prowl, with the intention, or at least the mindset to rape someone, it doesnt matter who they are, what they wear, where they are, what they look like, someone is going to get attacked that night. its more of a wrong place, wrong time sort of thing.

But in a lot of cases where, for example, both parties are drunk, and the male assumes that because the female is dressed like a slut' then they are 'up for it' and think they want to have sex. It probably has more effect in these cases than the random attacks.

Women can wear what they want. So long as the clothing doesn't completely cover them up only allowing the eyes to be seen through a small slit.

It works both ways really. Why do we feel a need to tell women what they can wear? We never do it with men. I'm sure all women are aware of the risks associated with going outdoors.

We did this a month or so ago and it all got deleted. I said at the time and I stand by it again now; A victim does not bear any responsibility for being a victim.

If I wear a watch near a homeless person, it doesn't give him any justification for stealing it. If a woman wears a short skirt, it doesn't give any man a justification for putting his hand up it.

Edited by Chris_Sleeps
Mistake

But if both encourage attack, they are the same?

Your mindset is wrong. Behaviour might make an attack more likely by putting someone in a more vulnerable position (ie going down the alleyway). Clothing might attract the attention of someone who is planning an attack, but neither of those behaviours is encouraging attack and the fault lies entirely with the criminal not the victim.

I liken it to advising pedestrians to make sure they check carefully before crossing the road even at a crossing. Yes, it's a driver's fault if he goes through a red light and kills a pedestrian, but that doesn't mean there's nothing the pedestrian could have done to avoid being hit.

It's not quite like that though is it! Checking for a car is an additional bit of behaviour that takes seconds to do, having to change how you wish to dress has already made you a victim and altered your entire evening out.

I'd also like to add that the word "should" implies a moral obligation, in this context. If they "should" dress better, it is their own fault if something should happen. People need to bear that in mind. It is bringing the point back to the age-old stance that women are somehow responsible for a man's behaviour towards them.

Replace the word with 'can' or 'are able' and we have the truth. Women can dress more sensible, and women are able to wear what they want. A man can't attack them within the law.