Can I get? .. Go figure!

I knew I was getting well past my youth plus a bit when 'younger people' started coming into my local pub a few years ago saying 'can I get' a pint of ...

I always did inwardly think 'Yes, you can 'get' one at the pub over the road, kindly f.. feel free to do so immediately'

I don't notice the 'Can I get' thing anymore, I don't know if I've just got used to hearing it and don't notice, or it's just not used anymore...

Problem is, a new 'Americanism' is starting to grate on my oh so delicate lugholes .... 'Go Figure'

Now, I'm not sure if I'll survive this one - does anyone have a long lease for a cave in North Yorks or somewhere I can go and pass some time in while 'go figure' falls out of fashion, or it just ceases to offend my oh so delicate lugholes ? Preferably with a local pub nearby with a landlord that greets you with something along the lines of 'Now then mi old, ows tha goin? Pint oft' usual? Sit thisen dahn and tek weight off luv! ;)

And just in case I'm coming across as Mr perfect Draggle - I used to drive my parents mad back in't day with the then fashionable 'I don't get you'

:D

Id never heard anyone in Sheffield use the "Can I get" thing, until I met my OH who has been living dahn sarf in Maidenhead for about 8 years, and he says it. I find it really weird, dont like it. "Can I get 20 sterling superkings please Oh can I get a scratchcard too" Makes me cringe a little actually....

I can't stand it either. If I was the person serving, I'd say "No, you can't get 20 Marlboro Lights. I'm paid to get them for you."

The thing thats really killing me is people who describe me as a "hater" if I disagree with them slightly. What a vile Americanism that is.

It irritates me too. I've noticed my housemate saying it, which is worrying as he's the ultimate pedant!

The other one that annoys me is "How are you", "I'm good, thanks"!

In the words of Jeremy Hardy - You mean you're well, and I think I'll be the arbiter of your morality...

It's "Absolutely" that gets my blood pressure up, a complete and utter moron response if ever there was one, GRRRRRRR.

I have noticed a lot of "young people" use the word proper, in entirely the wrong context.

My daughter said the other day "I'm proper fed up of this" That really annoys me.

That really annoys me.

You mean 'that annoys me very much'. "Really" means 'in reality', and has only become an intensifier like you used it around 1600.

Words do mutate, and take on different meanings. Maybe 'proper' will still be around in 400 years, and somebody will be complaining about a new word.

Sheffield Forum people in moaning about the most ridiculous of issues, shock horror.

MEGA

Now that one does wind me up lol

The other one that annoys me is "How are you", "I'm good, thanks"!

Ohh, that one makes me grind my teeth :roll:

Another one similar to 'Can I get' often heard in fast food outlets 'Can I get it to go?'

Grrrr :D

I have noticed a lot of "young people" use the word proper, in entirely the wrong context.

My daughter said the other day "I'm proper fed up of this" That really annoys me.

I know what you mean Mandem, my youngest litters every sentence with "proper" and "actually" eg-"it was actually a proper day out dad" Meaning (I think) it was an enjoyable experience from his perspective :D