A new council and a clean slate. What do you want?

get rid of first group running the buses, they are cowboys. they charge way over the odds for the fares and the service is poor

get rid of first group running the buses, they are cowboys. they charge way over the odds for the fares and the service is poor
How are the council going to do that? The ony way to stop a business from providing services is if people stop being their customers. HMV went bust because people stopped buying what they were selling. First will only go out of business if people stop buying their products.

Now that we have a new colour council in Sheffield what do you want them to do?

Let's have your wish list of action that you want to see from Julie Dore and her Labour colleagues.

i want them to double the size of the police force that patrol sheffield.

build a huge prison, and fill it with all sheffields scum

Guest sibon
How are the council going to do that? The ony way to stop a business from providing services is if people stop being their customers. HMV went bust because people stopped buying what they were selling. First will only go out of business if people stop buying their products.

Are HMV actually bust then.

Last I heard, they were finding it tough, but keeping on trading.

start with building the city back to a better standard. redevelopment back in place asap.

Stop putting problem families in with decent people, these families DO NOT learn by example they just bring the whole area down. Put them all with their own kind away from decent hard working families.

Who decides who is a decent family and who isn't? Who are their 'own kind'? Should 'these people' be judged on how they speak, or how they dress? Most of the time that is all a landlord (council or otherwise) will see. How are landlords supposed to know who is going to behave decently and who is going to cause problems before they give them a home?

People who don't know how to behave decently have always been around. There just seems to be more of them nowadays.

Transparency and honesty......thats what I would like to see.

Three years ago we were burgled while we slept in our beds. The police responded more or less immediately and were wonderful in their efforts to catch the ********! The fact that they didn't catch them certainly had nothing to do with the effort they applied.

About a week after this dreadful event I received a phone call and the woman speaking to me was talking about alarms and deterrents etc. I thought that she was from one of these companies trying to sell us something and I was a bit miffed as to how she knew we'd been burgled!

I was about to sound off when she explained that she was from the council and the details of the burglery had been passed onto her by the police.

She was ringing to offer us free window locks, door/window alarms and a smoke alarm. I was gobsmacked to say the least and I accepted the offer. These items were fitted by a council employee who also had a few young lads with him who were being provided with some work experience. I think they had been "naughty boys" in the past and this scheme was a way of showing them an alternative to a life of crime.

Anyhow I made it my business to find out a bit more about this scheme because I thought it was something new because I'd never heard of it before. Apparantly it wasn't new but the old Labour council had only seen fit to spend the budget in areas that they considered to be deprived and of high crime.........Burngreave, pitsmoor, manor etc. Most of the properties benefitting from this service were either council properties or private rentals and because of the crime rates there was never anything left out of the budget for any other areas.

The Labour council obviously saw fit to limit crime prevention/deterrent measures to a few particular areas of their choice at the expense of every other council tax payer in the county.

Just because a person lives in a nice house in a nice area does not mean they aren't at risk of burglery but the Labour council chose to ignore this.

Not only were we provided with the locks and alarms but all of our immediate neighbours received letters from the council offering them the same.

Will this scheme continue under the new labour ruling or will it go back to how it used to be?

I would like to see ALL services such as this spread equally across the county and not secretly applied to the minority.........week after week after week!

The council already offers free health walks, and has many maintained parks (free). Swimming is already very reasonable in cost, with a monthly fitness scheme at £30 a month for those that want it (half the cost of a typical private gym).

Quite simply people should stop saying to fatties that 'it's not their fault, here is a free swim pass' because it is their fault and they need to stop eating so much cake.

Overall we end up paying because someone spent too much money on cake and can't be bothered to spend the same amount on swimming.

I'm a fattie and I've never been offered a free swim pass, I don't have a 50" TV, or and Ipod, I don't eat much cake either but let's not let this get in the way of a good rant, eh? :(

Transparency and honesty......thats what I would like to see.

Three years ago we were burgled while we slept in our beds. The police responded more or less immediately and were wonderful in their efforts to catch the ********! The fact that they didn't catch them certainly had nothing to do with the effort they applied.

About a week after this dreadful event I received a phone call and the woman speaking to me was talking about alarms and deterrents etc. I thought that she was from one of these companies trying to sell us something and I was a bit miffed as to how she knew we'd been burgled!

I was about to sound off when she explained that she was from the council and the details of the burglery had been passed onto her by the police.

She was ringing to offer us free window locks, door/window alarms and a smoke alarm. I was gobsmacked to say the least and I accepted the offer. These items were fitted by a council employee who also had a few young lads with him who were being provided with some work experience. I think they had been "naughty boys" in the past and this scheme was a way of showing them an alternative to a life of crime.

Anyhow I made it my business to find out a bit more about this scheme because I thought it was something new because I'd never heard of it before. Apparantly it wasn't new but the old Labour council had only seen fit to spend the budget in areas that they considered to be deprived and of high crime.........Burngreave, pitsmoor, manor etc. Most of the properties benefitting from this service were either council properties or private rentals and because of the crime rates there was never anything left out of the budget for any other areas.

The Labour council obviously saw fit to limit crime prevention/deterrent measures to a few particular areas of their choice at the expense of every other council tax payer in the county.

Just because a person lives in a nice house in a nice area does not mean they aren't at risk of burglery but the Labour council chose to ignore this.

Not only were we provided with the locks and alarms but all of our immediate neighbours received letters from the council offering them the same.

Will this scheme continue under the new labour ruling or will it go back to how it used to be?

I would like to see ALL services such as this spread equally across the county and not secretly applied to the minority.........week after week after week!

That is a very good question, and one that you should be asking the new administration .

cant they withdraw the contract for this company and ask for other large companies to put in tenders. I though people were voting with their feet anyway with the buses, because its not very often you see a full bus now, even the single deckers. I use the car rather than the bus because its cheaper than the bus, more reliable, more covenient and doent have a miserable person driving it. If the busfares were cheaper i would use the bus more often, but the prices they charge are extortionate. At least Dick Turpin wore a masked before he robbed you

I'm a fattie and I've never been offered a free swim pass, I don't have a 50" TV, or and Ipod, I don't eat much cake either but let's not let this get in the way of a good rant, eh? :(

And I belong to one of the free walking groups. Apart from helping with our fitness, it is a good social event for people who may be isolated or have been ill with mental or physical problems. Most of us are mature ;) (as in over 60) and these walks are available across the city.

When my health was really bad, I asked my GP for a health referral, and I got a card that entitled me to cut price entry to leisure facilities, including swimming. Not free, but then I don't believe we always value things we get for nothing. I was pleased to get a discount. I'm much better now, but I have continued to walk with the group. Its part funded by the council, part by the NHS.

cant they withdraw the contract for this company and ask for other large companies to put in tenders. I though people were voting with their feet anyway with the buses, because its not very often you see a full bus now, even the single deckers. I use the car rather than the bus because its cheaper than the bus, more reliable, more covenient and doent have a miserable person driving it. If the busfares were cheaper i would use the bus more often, but the prices they charge are extortionate. At least Dick Turpin wore a masked before he robbed you

Firstly, the Passenger Transport Executive are the passenger transport authority. SCC have no direct control over public transport.

Many of the daytime bus services are provided on a commercial basis by private companies (Stagecoach, First, Tates etc). They charge what they like and put on whatever service they like, there is nothing that SYPTE or SCC can currently do about it, except on some routes where there are Statutory Quality Partnership agreements in place, which set minimum standards for some items of service quality (but not frequency of buses or cost of fares). Anyone with a license can register and operate a service and if they stay within the law, there is nothing SYPTE or SCC can do about it.

Other services which aren't commercially viable, but are seen as a social need are paid for by SYPTE, these are known as tendered services. Many evening and weekend services fall into this category. They are put out to open tender and the most commercially advantageous (ie usually cheapest) bid wins. performance of the contractor is monitored and if they don't provide what is required, the service can be re tendered.

The only way SYPTE could fully control fares and quality of services is through introducing Quality Contracts. That is essentially franchising, like they have in London. They were looking to do this in Doncaster, but the Mayor backed out of it. SYPTE recently consulted about bringing in Quality Contracts in Sheffield and Rotherham. Introducing them is not easy (I'm not aware that they are used anywhere except London)and if you want better quality services, it inevitably costs more.

This is the reality of deregulation. If something could realistically have been done about the quality and cost of bus services, it already would have been.

Edited by Planner1