What happened on Charter Row today? Police everywhere!

Does anyone know what happened on Charter Row today? Police everywhere, blocked off at Charter Square roundabout, sirens blaring from all directions. Went on for a good hour :huh:

Does anyone know what happened on Charter Row today? Police everywhere, blocked off at Charter Square roundabout, sirens blaring from all directions. Went on for a good hour :huh:

According to one of the drivers at work, someone fell off the kerb into the road as a bus was going past and the back wheels went over his arm.

Good god, thats nasty! Poor chap :(

If this is the person I heard about on the news, he's 91 years old. I hope he's OK. :S

If this is the person I heard about on the news, he's 91 years old. I hope he's OK. :S

Oh the poor poor man. Must have smashed his arms to bits if thats whats happened :(

As far as I'm aware the chap actually died after this accident, he was killed in a horrible way according to our office staff at the depot.

Apparently he ended up under the rear wheels but went under front too.

Cheers

Fred

That is terrible news poor man - Hope he's ok

Edited by BJan

According to the police:

The 91-year-old man was taken to Northern General Hospital where he has been detained and is being treated for serious injuries to his left arm, wrist and hand.

I can't see where it says he died

poor man, hope he gets better, at 91 its a tough call for him, hope he doesnt die.

Just what I was told by our garage as all our buses were diverted, I asked what had happened and the response was 'Someone has been killed in a horrible way, ended up under back wheels of a bus'

Fred

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/oap_hurt_in_bus_collison_1_3360392

Looks as though someone at your depot got the wrong end of the stick, as the gent is in hospital with injuries to his arm... Still not a nice thing to happen, but far better than having died...

The man sadly passed away on the 11th May.

Ninety-one-year-old James Pitchley was taken to Northern General Hospital following an incident on Charter Row on Friday, 6 May. Mr Pitchley passed away in hospital on 11 May.

Officers are keen to talk to passengers that were on the 25A bus and urge anyone who witnessed the incident or the moments leading up to it to call South Yorkshire Police on 0114 2202020 and quote incident 430 of 6 May 2011.

Condolences to the family of this man - such a random thing to have happened, he might have lived to see 92 if this hadnt have happened.